Riding a Bike vs 200mph Wind: Who Has More Force?

• Thread starter MiNdHaBiTs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike
In summary, the question is whether standing on top of a car going 200mph or standing still and being hit by a 200mph wind would feel different. Both scenarios would result in the same feeling on the skin, indicating that the wind is hitting with the same force. The conversation also discusses the difference between riding a motorcycle at 100mph and being hit by a 100mph wind, with the conclusion that the feeling on the face would be the same in both cases.
MiNdHaBiTs
what wind has more force the wind of you standing on top of a car doing 200mph or you standing still and a 200mph wind hitting you?

Physics news on Phys.org
In both cases, the wind feels the same on your skin, so it is hitting you with the same force.

i want to add to my question to get further answers. the question started when my friend said he has been in 100mph winds. being he exaggerates often i said you probably haven't been in 100mph. He said yes I have, i drove 100mph on my motorcycle.

Ah, yes, the feeling of 100mph wind on your face is indeed the same wether you're riding your hog in sunny weather, or holding on for dear life in a storm.

gendou2 said:
... or holding on for dear life in a storm ... with 80% of your body behind a windscreen.
10 chars

Huh? Windscreen? No, I was talking about only the feeling on your face. The rest of the body, windscreen or no, is irrelevant. In any cast, problem solved, so let's lock it up. :smile:

gendou2 said:
No, I was talking about only the feeling on your face.
I wear a full face helmet, (also ear plugs to reduce wind noise), when I ride a motorcycle. Considering head height is almost as high as a SUV, speeds on a motorcycle appear to be lower than in a car. 100mph or faster wouldn't be too fun if your face was exposed.

gendou2 said:
Huh? Windscreen? No, I was talking about only the feeling on your face. The rest of the body, windscreen or no, is irrelevant. In any cast, problem solved, so let's lock it up. :smile:
Well, the point is that the air in the envelope of a moving motorcycle, even where your face is, is possibly significantly less than 100mph relative to you.

A 100mph wind OTOH, would be truly 100mph.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, the point is that the air in the envelope of a moving motorcycle, even where your face is, is possibly significantly less than 100mph relative to you.

A 100mph wind OTOH, would be truly 100mph.

True, but this is negligible and I don't think it's the question being addressed.

gendou2 said:
True, but this is negligible and I don't think it's the question being addressed.
I don't think it is negligible, and I do think it's the question being addressed, as per post #3, in which the OP explains the circumstances under which the question has been raised.

What is the difference in force between riding a bike and facing a 200mph wind?

The difference in force between riding a bike and facing a 200mph wind is significant. When riding a bike, the force is generated by the rider's muscular strength and the resistance of the bike against the ground. However, facing a 200mph wind means being exposed to a much greater force, as the wind's speed and pressure can easily overpower the rider's strength.

Which one has a higher force, riding a bike or facing a 200mph wind?

A 200mph wind has a much higher force compared to riding a bike. The force of the wind is determined by its speed and pressure, which at 200mph can be incredibly strong. In contrast, riding a bike relies mainly on the rider's strength and the bike's resistance against the ground, which is significantly lower than the force of a 200mph wind.

Can a person riding a bike withstand a 200mph wind?

It is unlikely that a person riding a bike can withstand a 200mph wind. The force of a 200mph wind is strong enough to knock over buildings and uproot trees. It would be nearly impossible for a person, even with great physical strength, to withstand such force while riding a bike. It is important to seek shelter in safe and sturdy structures during strong winds of this magnitude.

What factors affect the force experienced when riding a bike?

The force experienced when riding a bike is affected by several factors, including the rider's weight and strength, the terrain and slope of the road, and the speed at which the bike is moving. Other factors, such as air resistance and the weight and design of the bike, can also impact the force experienced while riding.

How can the force of a 200mph wind be measured?

The force of a 200mph wind can be measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed and pressure. This data can then be used to calculate the force of the wind using the formula F = ρAV², where F is the force, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the object exposed to the wind, and V is the wind speed. Additionally, the damage caused by the wind can also serve as an indicator of its force.