Capacitor Circuit (Capacitor as source)

In summary, the conversation discusses a capacitor circuit where switches are opened and closed to manipulate the charges and voltages. The first part is straightforward, with the charge on the first capacitor being determined by Q = VC. In the second part, the conversation explores whether charge or voltage is conserved when switch A is opened and B is closed. It is determined that the voltage is conserved, resulting in a lower voltage across the combined capacitance of C1 and C2. The charge on each capacitor can be calculated using Q = VC. However, when trying to apply the conservation of energy, there seems to be a discrepancy. The conversation ends with a question about whether it is voltage or charge that is the same for both capacitors in this
mtbhrd

Homework Statement

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6173/capcircuitji2.jpg

Basically, I have to get charges and voltages as these switches are opened and closed on this capacitor circuit.

First, Switch A closed, B open. (C1 is charged.)

Then, switch A opens, and B closes.

Vi=5v
C1=4.6x10^-6 F
C2=2.3x10^-6 F

Homework Equations

Q = VC

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the first part is easy. Charge on the the first capacitor Q = VC, [(5)*(4.6x10^-6)] = 2.3X10^-5 C = Q1i

Now, the second part. Is charge conserved? So that
Q1i=Q1f+Q2f

Expanding that with Q=VC,
C1V1i = C1V1f + C2V2f

Can we say that V1f = V2f? So Vf would be 3.35v? Then charges could be found on each capacitor... Is this the correct way to go about this?

Or, Is the voltage the same, 5v across all the capacitors? (Being in parallel.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First C1 will have the charge determined by the 5v and the capacitance.

As you note the charge is conserved when A is opened. Then the effective capacitance is changed by closing B.

Charge the same, but capacitance larger means the voltage is lower

V = Q/(larger C) means lower V.

You mention a large effective capacitance..As in combining the two as one effective capacitor in parallel (C1 + C2)?

Using Q = VC , taking the original Q1i and using (C1 + C2) I get the same 3.35v as I got before.

I didn't run the numbers. That looks about right.

I was just trying to provide you some guidance.

Right, thanks.

So, with that voltage, charge on each cap (Q=VC) is 3.35v * C1 and then 3.35v * C2

I get Q1f=1.55x10^-5 C and Q2f=7.6x10^-6 C

However, when I run conservation of energy, U=.5QV (Ui = U1f + U2f) it doesn't work...

EDIT: Well, more simply put: Is it voltage or charge that is the same for both capacitors in this second ciruit situation where switch A is open, and b is closed, allowing C1 to charge the circuit.

Last edited:

1. What is a capacitor circuit?

A capacitor circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses a capacitor as its primary source of energy. A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two conducting plates.

2. How does a capacitor circuit work?

In a capacitor circuit, the capacitor stores energy when it is connected to a power source. When the circuit is closed, the capacitor releases the stored energy and allows the current to flow through the circuit. This process repeats itself as long as the circuit is connected to a power source.

3. What are the main components of a capacitor circuit?

The main components of a capacitor circuit include the capacitor, which stores energy, and the power source, which provides the energy to charge the capacitor. Other components may include resistors, diodes, and transistors, depending on the specific circuit design.

4. What are the applications of capacitor circuits?

Capacitor circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including power supplies, filters, oscillators, and timing circuits. They are also commonly used in audio equipment, lighting systems, and computer hardware.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor circuit can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge stored in the capacitor in coulombs, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts. The capacitance can also be calculated by multiplying the dielectric constant of the capacitor by the area of its plates and dividing by the distance between the plates.