Problem with inductors and Capacitors in Series (AC Theroy)

In summary, the task is to find the steady state expression for i(t) in a series circuit with a 750 mV voltage source and a resistor, inductor, and capacitor with values of 400 Ohms, 40mH, and .4 \muF respectively. The circuit is solved by finding the individual impedances of each component and adding them together to get the total impedance. The frequency used is 5000 Hz, but there was confusion about whether to use 5000 or 5 Hz due to the units of voltage. The correct approach is to use the frequency of 5000 Hz, as the units of voltage do not affect the frequency used in the circuit. The confusion was resolved after realizing the teacher
iceman_ch

Homework Statement

Find the steady state expresion for i(t) in the circuit if Vs=750 Cos(5000t) mV

All componets are in series

Resitor = 400 Ohms
Inductor = 40mH
Cap = .4 [tex]\mu[/tex]F

Homework Equations

Xc= 1/(j*w*C)
Xl = j*w*L
Xr = R

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I know how to do most of the problem but, when I look at the teachers solution it throws me off. What I would do is first find the impedences of all of the componets and then add them toghether to find the total. Then divide the voltage by the impedence and viola all done. My dilema is what frequency to use. I started out by using 5000 but, when I look at the teachers solution he used 5. I'm assuming this is because of the mV but, I thought that the frequency is independent from the voltage. It shouldn't matter what units of voltage are there since it's just a scalar. Anyways any help would be apprecieted.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I figured out what he was doing. He was simply droping zeros and moving the decimal points. grrrr stupid mistake.

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about this problem. It is always a good idea to check your work against a teacher's solution to ensure accuracy and understanding.

In this case, the frequency does not depend on the units of voltage, but rather on the units of time. The frequency in this circuit is given as 5000t, where t is time in seconds. This means that the frequency is 5000 Hz, or 5 kHz. This is why your teacher used 5 instead of 5000 in the calculation.

Additionally, your approach of finding the impedances of each component and adding them together is correct. This will give you the total impedance of the circuit, which can then be used to find the current using Ohm's Law.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and good luck with your studies! Remember, when in doubt, always check your work and ask for help if needed. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

1. What is the difference between inductors and capacitors?

Inductors and capacitors are both passive electronic components that store energy in the form of electric and magnetic fields, respectively. The main difference between them is that inductors store energy in the form of a magnetic field, while capacitors store energy in the form of an electric field. Another key difference is that inductors resist changes in current, while capacitors resist changes in voltage.

2. How do inductors and capacitors behave when connected in series in an AC circuit?

When connected in series, inductors and capacitors have opposite effects on the flow of AC current. Inductors tend to impede the flow of current, while capacitors tend to allow it. This can lead to a phenomenon known as resonance, where the inductive and capacitive effects cancel each other out, resulting in a high flow of current and potentially damaging the circuit.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total impedance of inductors and capacitors in series?

The total impedance of inductors and capacitors in series can be calculated using the following formula: Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where Z is the total impedance, R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. This formula takes into account the opposing effects of inductors and capacitors on the circuit.

4. How can resonance be prevented in a series AC circuit with inductors and capacitors?

To prevent resonance in a series AC circuit with inductors and capacitors, a resistor can be added in parallel to the inductor and capacitor. This resistor, known as a damping resistor, helps to dissipate the energy that builds up in the circuit due to the opposing effects of the inductor and capacitor. This prevents the circuit from becoming overloaded and potentially damaging the components.

5. Are there any real-world applications that utilize the behavior of inductors and capacitors in series?

Yes, there are many real-world applications that utilize the behavior of inductors and capacitors in series. One example is in the design of audio crossovers, which separate different frequency ranges for speakers. Another example is in the design of filters used in electronic devices, which use inductors and capacitors in series to block or allow certain frequencies. Additionally, inductors and capacitors in series are used in the design of power supplies to reduce noise and ripple in the output voltage.