What is the 2 cap/hole on the 5 tube cap of the Celestron 130 SLT used for?

• Thread starter jaam1969
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap is a protective cover for the telescope's optical tube. It should only be used when the telescope is not in use and is designed specifically for the Celestron 130 SLT model. While not necessary for proper maintenance, it can help keep the optics clean and protected. It can be purchased separately or is included in the original packaging of the telescope.
jaam1969
Just received a Celestron 130 SLT for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to use it yet due to clouds and winds. I live 15 miles east of Cleveland,OH.
Anyways, my question is: what is the purpose of the 2" cap/hole on the 5" tube cap?

Thanks,
Joe

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's for cutting down the brightness when you view the moon.

russ_watters said:
That's for cutting down the brightness when you view the moon.
Thanks, Russ,
That had crossed my mind, but this being my first telescope and there is no mention of it in the manual, I thought I'd ask.

Joe

1. What is the purpose of the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap?

The Celestron 130 SLT tube cap is designed to protect the telescope's optical tube from dust, moisture, and other environmental elements when not in use.

2. Can the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap be used while the telescope is in use?

No, the tube cap should only be used when the telescope is not in use. It is not designed to be used while the telescope is in operation.

3. Does the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap fit all models of the Celestron 130 SLT telescope?

Yes, the tube cap is specifically designed to fit the optical tube of the Celestron 130 SLT telescope. It may not fit other telescope models.

4. Is the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap necessary for proper telescope maintenance?

While the tube cap is not necessary for the overall functioning of the telescope, it can help prolong the life of the optics by keeping them clean and protected when not in use.

5. Can the Celestron 130 SLT tube cap be purchased separately?

Yes, the tube cap can be purchased separately from the telescope. It is also included in the original packaging of the Celestron 130 SLT telescope.