What is the correct ratio of zinc and copper for making brass?

• Thread starter asamaid1
  • Start date
In summary, the process of making brass from zinc and copper involves combining the elements in a melt and solidifying it into an ingot, which can then be rolled into a desired shape or form. The final strength of the brass can be determined by the amount of cold work and area reduction, and it is important to be cautious when melting zinc due to its fuming properties. In terms of equipment, a rolling machine is necessary for producing brass strips, and the ideal percentage of zinc and copper may vary depending on the desired properties of the brass.
asamaid1
Hi,

i want to make brass out of Zinc(65%) and copper(35%); What is the process of making brass from Zinc and copper?,

and how to make a big sheet of certain thickness out of that brass. how i can do that, any idea?thankx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are two general processes involved here: 1) making an alloy and 2) forming an object of the alloy, e.g. sheet.

Alloys are generally made by combining the constituent elements in a melt (liquid state). The melt is then solidified into an ingot, or it is poured into near-net-shape (as in a cast).

One could use batch process, e.g. melt -> ingot -> billet (or other intermediate form) -> sheet. The ingot to final sheet simply requires successive mechanical reductions (rolling), and the reductions can be done cold (cold rolling at ~room temperature) or hot (hot rolling).

One could use a continuous operation, e.g. continuous casting from melt to continuous solid form with inline rolling and annealing.

hi,
thankx for ur reply, can u tell me how i can make brass strip of certain strength? i mean how i know how much heat treatment i have to do on the brass ingot when rolling it to make brass strip, so that i get strip of certain strength? and how much pressure i have to exert when rolling? Thanx.

The amount of cold work after the last anneal (fully annealed, or recrystallized) will determine the final strength of a material. The cold work introduces dislocations in the material, and texture in some cases, and it is the dislocation density in addition to the inherent strength by interatomic forces that determines the strength (yield and ultimate tensile strength).

One should be able to relate cold work to area reduction.

You have to be careful when melting zinc, it creates vapors at its melting point, it will fume a lot when you bring it to higher temperatures to mix with copper. Do it at a well ventilated space. Also, you will lose a lot of zinc so start with more zinc, like 70%.

Hi Emreth & Astronuc,

Thankx for ur replies, can u give some idea wht sort of machines i would need for completing the eproduction of brass strip other than the furnace?thankx.

You need a rolling machine. They make some small scale rolling machines that are hand operated, those are very cheap if you can find one where you are. You can't make very big sheets though.

Hi.
Sir , i want to know that.what will the correct % of zinc and copper. To making brass.

1. What is brass?

Brass is a metal alloy made primarily of copper and zinc. It is commonly used in various industries, including construction, electronics, and musical instruments.

2. How is brass made?

Brass is typically made through a process called smelting, which involves heating and melting copper and zinc together. The ratio of copper to zinc can vary depending on the desired properties of the brass. The molten mixture is then poured into molds to create different shapes and forms.

3. What is the difference between brass and brass sheet?

Brass sheet is a specific form of brass that is produced by rolling or hammering brass into thin, flat sheets. It is commonly used in applications where a flat and smooth surface is needed, such as for decorative purposes or in the production of electronic components.

4. What are the properties of brass?

Brass has a combination of properties that make it a desirable material for various applications. It is malleable, meaning it can be easily shaped and formed into different shapes without breaking. It is also corrosion-resistant and has good electrical conductivity. Additionally, the color and luster of brass make it aesthetically pleasing for decorative purposes.

5. What are the common uses of brass and brass sheet?

Brass and brass sheet have a wide range of uses, including in plumbing fixtures, musical instruments, electrical components, and decorative items. Brass sheet is also commonly used in architecture and construction for roofing, flashing, and decorative panels. It is also used in the production of coins and ammunition.