What's Your Favorite 'New Smell'?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary: That wasn't so hard, was it?In summary, some people like the smell of gasoline, new books, and cheesecake, while others find odours like new carpet, new car smell, and freshly upturned topsoil to be pleasing.
jimmy p
Gold Member
As my thread on Velvet Revolver suggests, I have a new cd, and like all new things it has a great smell. Which got me thinking (you know what's coming...), "I wonder what everyone on PF's favourite 'new smell' is".

Do you prefer the odour of new carpet?

Do you desire the whiff of a new book?

Does the smell of a new car really get you going?

Tell all, share you new item smell!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the smell of a new book, and the new car smell is pretty good to.

I always smell my new books :smile:

I love the smell of my fav body shop shampoo... strawberry sorbet. it smells yummy

The smell of a nice fresh cup of tea in the morning.

i DONTKNOW HOW U CAN LIKE THE SMELL OF TEA. i FIND IT QUITE REVOLTING. BLAHHH. HAVE YOU EVER SMELT ROOIBOS TEA, THAT IS THE WORST...

Well, it depends very much on what type of tea you drink, but if it's what the English have then I'm afraid that it's simply nectar of the gods :wink:

I'll drink to that.

I like the new car smell.

It's not new but the smell of bread baking is heavenly.

I hate the smell of new cars, i have been in so many new cars that the smell makes me cringe, i always through the stupid air fresheners out the window before i go anywhere in a new car. As for my favourite smell i really don't know, maybe its the smell of the Charcoal Grill at 11:30pm,. u got to love that jimmy.

Ah, yes the smell of the bustling kebab shop. However, I don't think that anything there can be classed as new... the doner meat probably pre-dates the Battle of Hastings

New stuff;

Tires (tire warehouse = Mmmm)
Gasoline vapor (trace amounts only)
Paper (only certain types)
Electronic equipment
Textiles (various)
Vehicles (many old vehicles too)
Newly upturned topsoil (maybe doesn’t qualify)

Once, quite some time back, I recall a new girlfriend who smelled nice, too…
:biggrin:

Boulderhead, do you remember mimeographed papers in school? We all used to sit and smell them in class after they had just been printed.

I remember enjoying a strange smell, yes, but I'm uncertain what process was being used (may have been Spirit Duplicator). It seemed to me that printing was almost secretive, or at least always done in another room where students didn't get to watch. I thought there was some risk involved to the students and that's why it was done out of sight, but I don't exactly remember so I googled it and found that flammable chemicals were involved.

ooh, I love the smell of new wood furniture! that wholesome tree-smell!

napalm

jk =)

i often get caught smelling other people's deorderant...i dunno
any sort of tasty food smells GOOD
highlighters

I like, the "new girlfriend smell" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A pity that smell too often fades with the passage a few weeks, leading many a man to seek futher stimulation of his olfactory receptors ! :rofl: :rofl:

DarkAnt said:
napalm

jk =)

...in the morning! :wink:

I like the way babies smell... clean babies that is. As awful as they might be, they tend have the cutest smell.

I thought my kittens used to smell nice but then when they got on to solid foods...boy did their faeces stink. They took all the traits of their mother INCLUDING the foul ass gene.

Jimmy that's just nasty. Reminds me of the Outkast song roses.." I know you seem to think that your $h^& don't staaannkk...etc". I'm not a cat lover though, ... they're soooo stuck up.

Talcum powder, petrol, first aid kits and tumble dryer outlets.

Not really new stuff, but they smell good :)

yeah, I also like the smell of petrol.

A new bag of coffee.

What about "old smells"? When you take wilted roses out of a vase, I love the smell of the water they've been sitting in... it has this light, delicate rose smell...

honestrosewater said:
A new bag of coffee.
Coffee roasting. There is a coffee company downtown that smells heavenly.

mooberrymarz said:
I'm not a cat lover though, ... they're soooo stuck up.
No they're not. I have dogs and cats and I can tell you that the cats are the most affectionate. Dogs are loyal, cats own you. Cats demand love. (but they give so much back in return) :biggrin:

tomatoe paste
old books
[milk] chocolate
cheesecake
Ethiopian food

i often get caught smelling other people's deorderant...i dunno

OOOkay Trogdor! Don't people get a little bit suspicious though?

my kitty cat's fur after she's been sitting in the sunshine.

your cat "furs" after sitting in the sun?

OK, let's rephrase:

"I like the smell of my kitty cat's fur after she's been sitting in the sunshine."

There.

I love it when a smell brings back a surprisingly vivid memory. For instance, my grandparents had a magnolia bush on the side of their house that was exceptionally fragrant, and the smell of magnolias brings back the dozens of memories associated with it; playing chase with my brother, watering the plants with my grandma, and so on. It's great.

Yeah, everytime I smell mothballs I think of my Grandparents old house...