Never liked working with other people

• Thread starter completenoob
  • Start date
In summary: Some people experience social anxiety disorder or similar phobias - please see http://www.adaa.org/GettingHelp/AnxietyDisorders/SocialPhobia.asp .
completenoob
Ok I have been wondering about this. Since I was a little kid I have never liked working with other people. This continues up till today, the college days. Whenever I am working out a problem I don't like to be around other people, I always cover up my answers or my work--I just can't explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds completely normal to me.

It's a shame that our society is so crooked that someone who prefers to work on their own should begin to feel like they have a mental issue.

Covering up your answers and work is a good practice. You're protecting yourself from people who wish to undermine the educational system and attain the same level of success as you, not by working as hard, but by leeching off of your talent.

Don't worry. One day, you'll come across some people that you can identify as hard-working and intelligent, and you won't mind being around them because there will be no questions about their integrity. Unfortunately, these people are few and far between nowadays.

I don't think it is that normal. Normal people just scribble things down incomprehensible to others...

completenoob said:
Ok I have been wondering about this. Since I was a little kid I have never liked working with other people. This continues up till today, the college days. Whenever I am working out a problem I don't like to be around other people, I always cover up my answers or my work--I just can't explain it.

I'm going to guess that you don't experience other people as "helping" but as "interfering". Does that sound right?

Focus said:
I don't think it is that normal. Normal people just scribble things down incomprehensible to others...

I used to write down wrong solutions and let everybody see them. :devil:

Some people experience social anxiety disorder or similar phobias - please see http://www.adaa.org/GettingHelp/AnxietyDisorders/SocialPhobia.asp [Broken].

If you feel that your fear of others is interfering with your quality of life, you may want to see a counselor found through your insurance company, or if indigent and in the U.S., through your community mental health center.

Someone very close to me has SAD. Phobias may be the most common classification of mental illness - and no fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

But, if you feel that your fear of others is based on them interfering with your quality of life, then carry on.

Tom Mattson said:
I used to write down wrong solutions and let everybody see them. :devil:

I used to write down what I thought were right solutions and let everybody see them and we all got them wrong:wink:

1. Why do some people not like working with others?

There are many reasons why someone may not enjoy working with others. Some people prefer to work independently and find it more productive for their work style. Others may have had negative experiences with teamwork in the past, such as conflicts or lack of recognition for their contributions.

2. Is it better to work alone or with a team?

It ultimately depends on the individual and the project at hand. Some tasks may require collaboration and benefit from the diverse perspectives and skills of a team. However, others may be better suited for an individual to work on independently.

3. How can someone improve their ability to work with others?

One way to improve teamwork skills is to regularly communicate and listen to others' ideas and perspectives. It is also important to be open to compromise and flexible in finding solutions that work for everyone. Additionally, actively seeking feedback and addressing any conflicts or issues that arise can help improve working with others.

4. Can someone who doesn't like working with others still be successful?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be successful even if they don't enjoy working with others. Some individuals may thrive in independent work environments and find ways to leverage their strengths in their career. However, it is important to also be able to collaborate and communicate effectively in many work environments.

5. Are there any benefits to working with others?

There are many potential benefits to working with others, such as increased creativity and innovation, improved problem-solving abilities, and opportunities for learning and growth. Working with others can also provide a sense of camaraderie and support, which can improve overall job satisfaction.