Venus Transit: Why Does It Look Like It Changes Direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video of the Venus transit and the observation of Venus changing direction once it comes into full view. Possible explanations for this phenomenon include the rotation of the Earth and parallax due to the satellite's orbit. The source of the clip is revealed to be the satellite TRACE.
waynet
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rotation of the Earth during the transit changes the angle of the Sun's north pole as viewed from the telescope, maybe?

Oh, man, that's bizarre.

I took a movie of the thing too - think I'll have to go back and review it, but I really don't think I noticed anything like that.

Did you get footage as venus crossed the opposite limb? I'd be curious to know if this is observational effect which is observed when it's near the sun's limb, much like the mysterious "tadpole" effect (ohterwise known as the "black drop" effect).

What did you take the footage with? - I had a 14inch schmidt-cass and a sony 5 megapixel and my video isn't nearly as good as yours. :grumpy: :biggrin:

I don't think the field rotation is significant in this clip.

Over on another forum, someone posted this image of the transit from TRACE:

http://vestige.lmsal.com/TRACE/transits/venus_2004/images/VenusTransit2004_1600small.gif

The apparent 'bobbing' motion of venus is the effect of parallax due to the satellite's orbit about the earth.

What is the source of the clip on this page?

Last edited by a moderator:
^oohhh, yes that would make sense now wouldn't it? :P

Then it came from TRACE.

1. Why does Venus appear to change direction during its transit?

The apparent change in direction of Venus during its transit is due to a phenomenon called parallax. As Earth and Venus orbit around the Sun, our perspective of Venus changes, making it appear to move in a different direction.

2. How often does the Venus transit occur?

The Venus transit occurs in pairs, approximately 8 years apart, with more than a century between each pair. The last pair occurred in 2004 and 2012, and the next pair will occur in 2117 and 2125.

3. Can the Venus transit be seen from anywhere on Earth?

Yes, the Venus transit can be seen from anywhere on Earth that has a clear view of the Sun during the event. However, the timing and duration of the transit may vary slightly depending on the location.

4. What can we learn from observing the Venus transit?

By observing the Venus transit, scientists can gather data and measurements that can help us better understand our solar system. This includes studying the atmosphere of Venus and refining our understanding of planetary orbits and motions.

5. Is it safe to watch the Venus transit with the naked eye?

No, it is not safe to watch the Venus transit with the naked eye. Just like during a solar eclipse, it is important to use proper eye protection, such as eclipse glasses or a solar filter, to avoid damaging your eyes. You can also observe the transit using a telescope or through a live stream.