[Q] Do you understand what is numerical aperture and f number?

• Thread starter good_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numerical
In summary, during the conversation, the concept of numerical aperture (N.A) and its mathematical expression were discussed. N.A is a measure of the amount of light that can enter an optical system and is calculated using the index of refraction of the immersing medium and the maximum angle between the optical axis and the rim of the lens. The question of where the maximum angle is measured from and why an increase in n leads to an increase in N.A was also brought up. It was clarified that the apex of the cone angle used in the definition of N.A is located at the focal plane of the lens.
good_phy
Hi, I studied concept of numerical aperture and f number

I learned numerical aperture(N.A) is measure of how much light can be entered into the

optical system, its mathematical expression is N.A = [tex]nsin\theta_m [/tex] where n is

index of refraction of immersing medium surrounding lens and [tex]\theta_m[/tex] is

maximum angle between optical axis and rim of lens.

I got a question. What is the point from which two line(one is from the point to rim of lens,

another is from the point along optical axis to lens) make maximum angle?

I think maximum angle is varying as the point moves along axis, So it is not clear for me.

And why can more light enter the optical system if n increases, causes N.A increase.

Please solve my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question, but the cone angle used in the definition of NA has the apex located at the focal plane of the lens, not arbitrarily located along the optical axis.

Does that help?

Hi there, it sounds like you have a good understanding of numerical aperture and f number. To answer your question, the point from which the two lines make the maximum angle is the point on the object being viewed that is closest to the lens. As you mentioned, the maximum angle will vary as the point moves along the axis, but it will always be measured from the closest point on the object to the lens.

As for why more light can enter the optical system when n increases, this is because the index of refraction is a measure of how much the light is bent as it passes through a medium. When the index of refraction increases, the light is bent more and therefore can enter the optical system at a greater angle, resulting in a higher numerical aperture.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions. Keep studying and learning, and you'll continue to deepen your understanding of these concepts.

1. What is numerical aperture (NA)?

Numerical aperture (NA) is a measure of the light-gathering ability of an optical system, such as a microscope or camera lens. It is calculated by taking the sine of the maximum angle of light that can enter the system, multiplied by the refractive index of the medium in which the light is traveling.

2. What is the significance of numerical aperture in imaging?

Numerical aperture is important in imaging because it determines the resolution and depth of field of the system. A higher numerical aperture allows for greater resolution and a smaller depth of field, meaning that objects can be imaged with greater clarity and detail.

3. How does numerical aperture relate to f number?

Numerical aperture and f number are inversely related. The f number is calculated by dividing the focal length of a lens by its diameter, while numerical aperture is calculated using the maximum angle of light. As the f number decreases, the numerical aperture increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between numerical aperture and aperture?

Numerical aperture and aperture are related concepts, but they are not the same. Aperture refers to the opening through which light enters an optical system, while numerical aperture is a measure of the light-gathering ability of the system. In other words, aperture is a physical measurement, while numerical aperture is a calculated value.

5. How does numerical aperture affect the quality of an image?

Numerical aperture has a direct impact on the quality of an image. A higher numerical aperture allows for better resolution and a smaller depth of field, resulting in sharper and more detailed images. A lower numerical aperture can lead to a decrease in image quality, as the system is less able to gather and focus light.