Does emission depend linearly on concentration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding out the relative concentration of CO2 by looking at the emission or absorption from a hot gas at 1000K in the IR region. The question of whether the emission depends linearly on the concentration is raised and the use of theoretically equations and literature on radiative transfer is mentioned. The possibility of a strong dependence on concentration is also discussed, with the idea that thermal emissions will become linear with concentration as the gas becomes optically thin. The difference in emissivity spectra between different gases is also mentioned as a factor that could affect the relationship between optical depth and concentration.
nordmoon
Is it possible to find out the relative concentration of c02 by looking at the emission or absorption from a hot gas, T = 1000K, containing among other C02? What I want to find out is if the emission depends linearly on the concentration. (in the IR region)

What theoretically equations may I used to find this out? I have been looking at literature of Radiative transfer but I do see how this can be possible. I have data from the hitran database (giving wavelength, intensity (or equivalent width), Einstein coeff, statistical weights, FWHM, lower level energy and such)

Does anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
nordmoon said:
Is it possible to find out the relative concentration of c02 by looking at the emission or absorption from a hot gas, T = 1000K, containing among other C02? What I want to find out is if the emission depends linearly on the concentration. (in the IR region)

What theoretically equations may I used to find this out? I have been looking at literature of Radiative transfer but I do see how this can be possible. I have data from the hitran database (giving wavelength, intensity (or equivalent width), Einstein coeff, statistical weights, FWHM, lower level energy and such)

Does anyone know?

I am not totally sure, but I don't think it will have a strong dependence on concentration beyond a certain point. Once the gas is optically thick, you'll have a kind of radiative equilibrium within the volume, and thermal emissions will only escape from outer edges of your volume. The total power of emission will then be a function of temperature and surface area of the volume. As concentration drops, the optical depth changes to give, I guess, a smaller effective radiating surface. As you become optically thin, I guess it thermal emissions will become linear with concentration of the gases.

I'm thinking out loud here. If I get better info I'll correct myself. Don't take this as gospel, but as an aspect of the problem that might be worth thinking about.

Different gases have different emissivity spectra, of course, and that's going to alter the relationship between optical depth and concentration. Some gases will shed energy more efficiently at 1000K than others, but I don't know where CO2 stands on that.

Cheers -- Sylas

I can provide an answer to your question. The relationship between emission and concentration does not necessarily depend linearly on each other. In fact, it is more common for the relationship to be logarithmic, meaning that as concentration increases, the emission increases at a decreasing rate. This is known as the Beer-Lambert Law, which states that the absorption or emission of a substance is directly proportional to its concentration.

To determine the relative concentration of CO2 by looking at emission or absorption from a hot gas, you can use the Beer-Lambert Law in combination with the known properties of CO2, such as its absorption spectrum in the infrared region. This can be done through radiative transfer calculations, which take into account the absorption and emission properties of the gas and the temperature of the system.

Other equations that can be used to determine the emission-concentration relationship include the Boltzmann distribution and the Planck's Law of blackbody radiation. However, these equations may not be as applicable to your specific situation and may require additional information and calculations.

In order to determine the emission-concentration relationship for CO2, you can use the data from the hitran database that you mentioned. This database contains information on the spectral properties of various gases, including CO2. By using this data and applying the appropriate equations, you can determine the relationship between emission and concentration for CO2 in the infrared region.

I hope this information helps you in your research. Keep in mind that the relationship between emission and concentration may vary depending on the specific conditions and properties of the gas being studied. It is always important to carefully consider the equations and data being used in order to accurately determine this relationship.

1. How does emission depend on concentration?

Emission is directly proportional to concentration, meaning that as the concentration of a substance increases, so does the amount emitted.

2. Is the relationship between emission and concentration linear?

Yes, the relationship between emission and concentration is linear. This means that as the concentration increases by a certain amount, the emission also increases by a consistent amount.

3. Can emission and concentration be graphed to show their relationship?

Yes, emission and concentration can be graphed to show their linear relationship. The resulting graph will have a straight line with a positive slope, indicating the direct proportionality between the two variables.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the linearity between emission and concentration?

Yes, there are certain factors that can affect the linearity between emission and concentration, such as the type of substance emitting, temperature, and pressure. These factors can alter the rate of emission and change the linear relationship between the two variables.

5. Can emission still occur at low concentrations?

Yes, emission can still occur at low concentrations, but the amount emitted will be relatively small compared to higher concentrations. This is due to the linear relationship, where a small change in concentration will result in a small change in emission.