How to find global/local minimums/maximums.

• Thread starter thomasxc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various applications of derivatives in calculus, including functions of one variable, n real variables, a functional depending on a function, linear functional defined on a convex set, and functions of integer variables. The conversation also mentions specific courses and concepts such as multivariable calculus, gradients, Lagrange multipliers, calculus of variations, linear programming, and integer programming. The conversation also references the Wikipedia page for Maxima and Minima as a resource for further information.
thomasxc
i've been searching the entire internet looking for a good how-to, but i have had no success. this is not a homework question, i am simply interested. and i would greatly appreciate some straightforward instruction.thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For function of one variable ... a course on calculus: this is one of the standard applications of derivatives.

For function of n real variables ... a course on multivariable calculus. Gradients, Lagrange multipliers, etc.

For a functional depending on a function ... "calculus of variations"

For linear functional defined on a convex set ... "linear programming"

For function of integer variables ... "integer programming"

See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima_and_minima" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I determine if a point is a global minimum/maximum?

In order to determine if a point is a global minimum or maximum, you must first understand the concept of global and local extrema. A global minimum/maximum is the lowest/highest point in the entire function, while a local minimum/maximum is the lowest/highest point within a specific interval. To determine if a point is a global minimum/maximum, you can use the first or second derivative test, which involves taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a local minimum, and if it is negative, the point is a local maximum. To determine if the point is a global minimum or maximum, you must then analyze the behavior of the function at the boundaries of the interval. If the function continues to decrease/increase, then the point is a global minimum/maximum.

2. How do I find the global minimum/maximum of a function?

To find the global minimum/maximum of a function, you can use the process of optimization, which involves finding the critical points of the function (points where the derivative is equal to zero) and analyzing their behavior using the first or second derivative test. You must also analyze the behavior of the function at the boundaries of the interval to ensure that the point is a global minimum/maximum and not a local minimum/maximum.

3. Can a function have more than one global minimum/maximum?

Yes, a function can have more than one global minimum/maximum. This occurs when the function has multiple intervals where it behaves like a decreasing/increasing function. In this case, each interval will have its own global minimum/maximum. It is important to note that the function can only have one global minimum/maximum within a specific interval.

4. What is the difference between a global minimum/maximum and a local minimum/maximum?

The main difference between a global minimum/maximum and a local minimum/maximum is their scope. A global minimum/maximum is the lowest/highest point in the entire function, while a local minimum/maximum is the lowest/highest point within a specific interval. Another difference is the behavior of the function at the point. A global minimum/maximum occurs when the function continues to decrease/increase at the boundaries of the interval, while a local minimum/maximum occurs when the function changes direction at the point.

5. Can a function have a global minimum/maximum if it has no critical points?

Yes, a function can have a global minimum/maximum even if it has no critical points. This can occur if the function is constant or has a constant slope, meaning that the derivative is always equal to zero. In this case, the entire function would be the global minimum/maximum.