Hi from Spain, help me with object size and distance. please.

• Thread starter reservahoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, The speaker is requesting help with a problem as a 3D designer. They need to defend that an object, which is 80 meters tall and 5 meters in diameter, is visible from a beach 9000 meters away. They are looking for formulas to calculate the object's visibility and state that they have tried researching perspective projection but do not think it is what they need. They provide an example formula to explain their desired information.
reservahoy

Homework Statement

Thank you very much in advance if you help me to resolve this problem. I am 3D designer and I must to defend that the object is visible from the beach but so small. sorry my english!
Please if you can contribute with formulas and solve the problem will be valued, because I would like to resolve by myself with differents parameters.

Problem:
I have an object of 80 meters of height and 5 meters of diameter.
This object is above the sea and 9000 meters far from the beach.
The object is like a wind generator white.

Questions:
1. its visible the object from the beach?
2. what height has the object from the beach?
3. what distance I need to see the object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
try perspective projection.

Thank you for your answer. I tried to find information about perspective projection and I think that isn't that I looking for.

I need to explain the information like this:

the object seen to 9000 meters of distance has 3mm of height. Why? because the formula to calculate this results is x+y=z , where x is distance, y is height, etc, (this is a sample formulas and number are not real)

1. How do I determine the size of an object from a distance?

In order to determine the size of an object from a distance, you will need to use the principles of perspective and geometry. By using trigonometry, you can measure the angle between two points on the object and calculate its size based on the known distance between those points.

2. What units of measurement should I use for object size and distance?

The units of measurement you use will depend on the size and distance of the object. For larger objects and longer distances, meters or kilometers are commonly used. For smaller objects and shorter distances, centimeters or millimeters may be more appropriate.

3. Is there a formula for calculating object size and distance?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to calculate object size and distance, depending on the specific situation. These include the Pythagorean theorem, the tangent ratio, and the law of sines. It is important to understand the principles behind these formulas in order to use them correctly.

4. How accurate are measurements of object size and distance?

The accuracy of your measurements will depend on a variety of factors, such as the precision of your measuring tools, the conditions of the environment, and the complexity of the object's shape. It is important to take multiple measurements and account for any potential sources of error in order to improve accuracy.

5. Can technology be used to assist with measuring object size and distance?

Yes, there are various technologies that can assist with measuring object size and distance. These include laser rangefinders, digital cameras, and 3D scanning devices. However, it is important to understand the limitations and potential errors of these technologies in order to properly interpret and use their measurements.