Power Dissipation in Driven Oscillator: Calculate Average

In summary, the instantaneous power dissipated by the damping force in a driven oscillator is P(t) = f_x v_x = -bv_x ^2. To find the average power dissipated during one cycle of steady-state motion, we can use the formula \overline{P} = -\frac{1}{2} b\omega^2 A^2, where \omega is the driving frequency and A = |\underline{A}| is the oscillation amplitude. To calculate v_x, we can use the real solution x(t) = \underline{A} cos(\omega t) or \underline{A} sin(\omega t) and the corresponding velocity v(t) = -\omega A sin(\omega t
swuster

Homework Statement

The instantaneous power dissipated by the damping force in a driven oscillator is [tex]P(t) = f_x v_x = -bv_x ^2[/tex].
Show that the average power dissipated during one cycle of steady-state motion is [tex]\overline{P} = -\frac{1}{2} b\omega^2 A^2[/tex], where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the driving frequency and [tex]A = |\underline{A}|[/tex] is the oscillation amplitude.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm attempting to just solve an integral for the average power:

[tex] \omega/2\pi*\int^{2\pi/\omega}_{0} -bv_x^2 dt[/tex]

But what is [tex]v_x[/tex]? If [tex]x(t) = \underline{A} e^{i \omega t}[/tex], then [tex]v(t) = i \omega \underline{A} e^{i \omega t} = i\omega x(t)[/tex]. So then I think that [tex]v_x = i\omega[/tex] but this doesn't give me the correct answer when put into the integral. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the real solution,

[tex] x(t) = \underline{A} cos(\omega t) [/tex] or [tex] \underline{A} sin(\omega t)[/tex].

The world is real, the displacement or velocity of a vibrating body is a real quantity. The complex formalism is just a tool to make solutions easier. It works for linear relations only.

ehild

So then if I just use [tex] x(t) = A cos(\omega t) [/tex], then it follows that [tex] v(t) = -\omega A sin(\omega t) [/tex]. Is [tex]v_x[/tex] just dv/dt / dx/dt then? That would make it [tex]\omega cot(\omega t)[/tex] which also does not work in the integral

Last edited:
I do not understand what you are doing. [tex]v_x[/tex] is the same as your v(t). The subscribe "x" means the x component of the velocity, and it is the time derivative of the x component of the displacement, x(t). That is, [tex]v_x = dx/dt[/tex] .

ehild

1. What is power dissipation and why is it important in a driven oscillator?

Power dissipation refers to the energy that is lost as heat in a system. In a driven oscillator, it is important to consider power dissipation because it affects the overall efficiency and stability of the oscillator. Excessive power dissipation can lead to overheating and damage to the system.

2. How is power dissipation calculated in a driven oscillator?

The average power dissipation in a driven oscillator can be calculated by multiplying the resistance of the circuit by the square of the current flowing through it. This can also be expressed using the equation: P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What factors affect the power dissipation in a driven oscillator?

The power dissipation in a driven oscillator is affected by several factors, including the resistance of the circuit, the amplitude and frequency of the driving force, and the quality factor of the oscillator. Higher resistance and driving force can lead to increased power dissipation, while a higher quality factor can reduce it.

4. How does power dissipation affect the stability of a driven oscillator?

Excessive power dissipation can result in heating and thermal noise, which can affect the stability of a driven oscillator. This is because it can cause changes in the oscillator's frequency and amplitude, leading to fluctuations in its output.

5. How can power dissipation be minimized in a driven oscillator?

To minimize power dissipation in a driven oscillator, it is important to choose components with lower resistance and higher quality factor. Additionally, optimizing the driving force to match the natural frequency of the oscillator can also reduce power dissipation. Proper heat dissipation techniques, such as using heat sinks, can also help to minimize power dissipation.