Masters in Physics - High School teacher?

In summary: Basically, he'll be doing the same job for a lot less pay.In summary, If he wants to become a high school physics teacher, he'll need a second masters, but there are some ways to get around that. He should also look into "critical need" teaching opportunities.
SugarMagnolia
I'm writing this for a friend of mine - really!

He has a masters in Physics. He's currently teaching college level lab classes and thinking about becoming a high school Physics teacher. I know that all states have different requirements, but he's kind of at a loss for what to do to make that happen. I'm trying to find information on the internet to help him, but I can't get anywhere. Do you have to get a second masters to become a teacher? A certification program? Specifically interested in Arizona, but anywhere. Has anyone here gone into teaching after getting a masters? Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
He's teaching at a college and he has no idea where to get information on becoming a teacher...? He should ask his department, they should know what credentials you need and what to do. Outside of that, the liberal arts/education department certainly would know too. The information should be surrounding him.

I guess he went a meeting of some sort about how to become a high school teacher and they kept talking about getting a masters, but he thinks he won't need a second masters. I'm a little confused by the whole thing. I know nothing about education. He's been trying to get information and I guess is incredibly frustrated.

Teacher credentialling is a function of state government. Therefore, I suggest looking at the state government website. In the case of Arizona, you'll probably end up looking at http://www.ade.state.az.us/certification/requirements/TeachingCerts/ .

You don't need a master's degree, but they do want you to take a lot of education courses (30 credits), so I suppose that's not too far from a master's.

If there is a shortage of physics teachers, it might also be possible to get an emergency credential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many states have a "Provisional certificate" option for people that do not have the Education certification. These are issued with a maximum duration (often around 5 years) and can not be renewed. During that time, the provisionally certified teacher must complete a state-approved certification program.

Tell him to keep his eyes open for opportunities for "critical need" teachers as well. Fields (usually math, science, and special education) that are considered "critical need," that is, there are far more positions than qualified candidates, often have some decent incentives or opportunities that ease the transition into teaching.

Thanks so much for all the help. How would you find places with critical needs for teachers? Any advice on who to contact for more information?

In Arizona there is an online certification program offered by the Board of Regents. http://www.azun.net/Programs/programDetail.aspx?programID=70000

Living in Arizona, I can tell you that most all schools here are in chronic need of science and math teachers, but the supply is currently large because large numbers of teachers were laid off in Arizona due to state budget cuts.

The credentialing program will have information on open positions, as will the department of education at any of the three state universities. Most positions will be open in the Spring, because that is when new contracts are put out for teachers. Exceptions do exist of course. Local school districts will also put want ads in the usual places [classifieds, Monster, etc.].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, finding a position will be trivial for him. However, I'd like to mention that high school teaching is a very different endeavor than teaching college, or even community college. He needs to be very aware of what he's getting into or it could be an ugly awakening.

He'll work more, he'll teach less, and it'll be much harder.

1. What is a Masters in Physics - High School teacher program?

A Masters in Physics - High School teacher program is a graduate degree program that prepares individuals to become high school physics teachers. It combines advanced coursework in physics with education courses and teaching experience.

2. What are the requirements for a Masters in Physics - High School teacher program?

The specific requirements may vary by institution, but generally, a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required. Some programs may also require teaching experience or a teaching certification. Additionally, applicants may need to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Physics - High School teacher program?

The program typically takes 1-2 years to complete, depending on whether the student is enrolled full-time or part-time. Some programs may also offer an accelerated option for students who want to finish their degree in a shorter amount of time.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Physics - High School teacher degree?

Graduates of this program are prepared to work as high school physics teachers in public or private schools. They may also have the opportunity to work as curriculum developers, education consultants, or educational researchers.

5. How much does a Masters in Physics - High School teacher program cost?

The cost of the program can vary greatly depending on the institution and whether the student is enrolled full-time or part-time. Additionally, some programs may offer financial aid or scholarships. It is best to research the specific program you are interested in to get an accurate cost estimate.