Solutions to a set of polynomials (Commutative Algebra)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding solutions to a set of nonlinear equations by converting them into polynomials and using commutative algebra. The speaker also mentions using Mathematica to search for a Groebner Basis and the possibility of finding complex solutions. They ask for advice on how to study the equations analytically and if there is a way to transform them into equations defined in the complex field.
mtak0114
Hi

I have a set of nonlinear equations [tex]f_i(x_1,x_2,x_3...)[/tex] and I want to find their solutions.

After doing some reading I have come across commutative algebra. So to simplify my problem I have converted my nonlinear equations into a set of polynomials [tex]p_i(x_1,x_2,x_3...,y_1,y_2...)[/tex] by introducing new variables (the y's) defined in the [tex]\Re[/tex].

How can I find the answer to:

1) whether a solutions exists?

2) if so what is it?

To tackle these two questions I have used mathematica to find solutions with no luck...
I then used mathematica to search for a Groebner Basis which is a new set of polynomials with the same solution space also with no luck...

Is there a way to study the equations analytically to answer at least question 1)
(I could only find theorems for equations defined over the Complex field)...Or if not an answer to 1) some thing I can state about this set of polynomials?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

M

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can find all complex solutions, can you use that information to find the real solutions?

I've thought about that...

but my polynomials are equations of motion the solutions shouldn't be complex.
Is their a way to treat equations which are defined in the reals
that transforms them into equations which are complex...

like what you can do with numbers i.e work with 4 real numbers or two complex?

Cheers

M

1. What is a solution to a set of polynomials?

A solution to a set of polynomials is a set of values for the variables in the polynomials that make all of the equations in the set true. In other words, when these values are substituted into the polynomials, the resulting equations are all satisfied.

2. How are solutions to a set of polynomials found?

There are a few different methods for finding solutions to a set of polynomials, including using substitution, elimination, and the method of Gröbner bases. These methods involve algebraic manipulation and solving systems of equations.

3. Can a set of polynomials have more than one solution?

Yes, a set of polynomials can have more than one solution. Some sets of polynomials may have an infinite number of solutions, while others may have a finite number of solutions. The number of solutions depends on the number of variables and the degree of the polynomials in the set.

4. Are there any special cases where a set of polynomials has no solutions?

Yes, there are special cases where a set of polynomials has no solutions. For example, if the set of polynomials has conflicting equations or if the equations in the set are inconsistent, there will be no solutions that satisfy all of the equations.

5. How are solutions to a set of polynomials used in real-world applications?

Solutions to a set of polynomials have various real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer science. They can be used to solve systems of equations that model real-world situations, such as in optimization problems or in analyzing data sets. They also have applications in cryptography and error-correcting codes.