Where does extra energy come from in superposed waves?

In summary, when two identical waves are superposed in phase, the resulting wave has a doubled amplitude and four times the energy of each individual wave. This is due to the formula E = A^2, where A represents the amplitude of the wave. When two waves with an amplitude of 2m are superposed, the resulting wave has an amplitude of 4m and an energy of 1600 J, which is 800 J more than the sum of the individual wave energies. This extra energy appears to violate the conservation of energy, but it can be explained by the formula E = (A1 + A2)^2, which takes into account the combined amplitude of the two waves rather than just adding the individual energies.
Chris 197
Where does "extra" energy come from in superposed waves?

1. I am needing to understand how, when two identical waves are superposed in phase, and the amplitude doubles, how is it that the energy of the resulting wave is greater than the sum of the two superposed waves.

2. Given that E = A^2, and my example waves are measured in meters and use this formula: E=100 J/m^2, then,

a wave with an amplitude of 2m therefore has an energy of E = 100 J/m^2 * 2^2 = 400 J

Two 2m waves are superposed in phase and the amplitude is now 4m. The new wave now has an energy of E = 100 J/m^2 * 4^2 = 1600 J

Where did the extra 800J come from? It seems to have come out of thin air, which violates the conservation of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org

You cannot write E1 + E2 = A1^2 + A2^2
It should be E1 + E2 = (A1 + A2)^2

Thank you rl.bhat.

It seems to me that I did add the amplitudes in the way you described:

"The new wave now has an energy of E = 100 J/m^2 * 4^2 = 1600 J." To get the "4^2" I added two 2m amplitudes of the original waves that were then superposed, and then squared 4 to get 16.

Thanks for the help to understand where I am missing something.

1. Where does the extra energy come from in superposed waves?

The extra energy in superposed waves comes from the constructive interference of two or more waves. When two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, they combine to form a new wave with a higher amplitude.

2. How does the energy of superposed waves differ from the energy of individual waves?

In superposed waves, the energy is higher than the energy of the individual waves because of constructive interference. This means that the amplitude of the resulting wave is greater than the amplitude of the individual waves, resulting in a higher energy level.

3. Can superposed waves have a lower energy than the individual waves?

No, superposed waves can never have a lower energy than the individual waves. This is because even if the waves are out of phase and undergo destructive interference, the energy is simply redistributed, but not lost. The total energy of the system remains the same.

4. Are there any limitations to the amount of energy that can be created through superposed waves?

Yes, there are limitations to the amount of energy that can be created through superposed waves. The total energy of the system cannot exceed the sum of the energies of the individual waves. This is known as the principle of superposition.

5. Can superposed waves create an infinite amount of energy?

No, superposed waves cannot create an infinite amount of energy. The energy created through constructive interference is limited by the amplitude and frequency of the individual waves. Additionally, the principle of superposition dictates that the total energy cannot exceed the sum of the energies of the individual waves.