Is a Masters in Civil Engineering Necessary for a Career in California?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether it is worth pursuing a master's degree in civil engineering given the current state of the economy. One person suggests that it could be beneficial, especially for changing career areas, but there are rumors that a master's degree may be required for taking the P.E. exam. However, there is no definitive answer on this. Statistics predict that unemployment will not return to pre-recession levels until 2014. There is also a mention of a possible requirement for a master's degree to work for the state of California after 2011.
sandwhale
Hello,

I'm a 3rd year civil engineering major/computer sciences and communication minor. With the economy at the state it is now, is it worth pursuing a masters or should I try to look for a job after college?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not really sure (since I'm also a 3rd year engineering student), and I'm curious about this as well. I did take a look into some interesting statistics though.

Predictions from Moody's Economy.com seems to imply that unemployment will not return to its pre-recession level until around 2014:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32694985/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

It could be off though, and it doesn't elaborate on specific sectors of the job market at all.

A Master in Civil Engineering is useful, especially if you want to change area. I'll say go for it. It should be 1 to 1 year and half to finish.

Does anyone know they changed the prerequistites for taking the P.E.? I've heard rumors of them requiring a masters degree (or 30 graduate credit hours) in order to qualify to take it, but I've never heard a definitive answer. If that were the case it may influence your decision to go for a masters.

I heard that in california after 2011 you'll need a masters to work for the states. I haven't heard any new changes to the P.E., also I'm planning to take the EIT exam this coming spring so I'll see how that goes then decide...

1. What is a Masters in Civil Engineering?

A Masters in Civil Engineering is a graduate degree that focuses on advanced topics in the field of civil engineering. It is designed to provide students with a deeper understanding of engineering principles and practices, as well as advanced technical skills and knowledge.

2. What are the benefits of getting a Masters in Civil Engineering?

Earning a Masters in Civil Engineering can lead to a variety of benefits, including increased job opportunities, higher salaries, and the ability to work on more complex and challenging projects. It can also provide opportunities for career advancement and professional development.

3. What are the admission requirements for a Masters in Civil Engineering program?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and work experience.

4. What courses are typically included in a Masters in Civil Engineering program?

A Masters in Civil Engineering curriculum may include courses such as advanced structural analysis, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, water resources engineering, and construction management. Students may also have the opportunity to choose elective courses based on their interests and career goals.

5. Is a thesis required for a Masters in Civil Engineering?

While some programs may offer a non-thesis option, the majority of Masters in Civil Engineering programs require students to complete a thesis project. This involves conducting original research and presenting a written report on a specific topic within the field of civil engineering. A thesis is a valuable opportunity for students to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems and contribute to the advancement of the field.