Photon reflection from a metal surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why metal surfaces appear shiny and the explanation provided in Atkins-Physical chemistry book. The explanation states that in metallic conductors, light can excite electrons from occupied levels to unoccupied ones, resulting in a wide range of absorbed frequencies and efficient re-emission of light. The questioner wonders why the emitted photon has the same wavelength as the absorbed one and the answer is that metals have a continuum of energy levels, making it impossible for the emitted photon to have a different energy.
Pete99
Hi,

I have been looking for a better explanation of the following question in different threads, but although there are some related question, I haven't found one that answers my question.

I have read in Atkins-Physical chemistry book the following (summarized) explanation about why metal surfaces are shiny:

"In an idealized metallic conductor, the absorption of light can excite electrons form the occupied levels to unoccupied. There is a near continuum of unoccupied energy levels, so the absorption is over a wide range of frequencies. The absorbed energy can be re-emitted very efficiently as light, which accounts for the shiny appearance of the metal surface."

What bugs me is that if this is true, why when the electrons are excited by the absorption of the photon, they re-emit exactly with the same wavelength. If there is a continuum of energy levels, isn't it possible that the emitted photon would have different energy?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is a continuum of energy levels, the electrons are basically free. They get excited and then return to their ground state emitting the photon of same wavelength as it absorbed. To emit a photon of lesser energy (higher wavelength), there should be some intermediate state of higher lifetime. This is not the case with metals. Hence the emitted photon cannot have other energies.

1. What is photon reflection from a metal surface?

Photon reflection from a metal surface refers to the phenomenon where photons, which are particles of light, bounce off of a metal surface instead of being absorbed by the material.

2. How does photon reflection from a metal surface occur?

Photon reflection from a metal surface occurs due to the properties of metals, specifically their high density of free electrons. When light hits a metal surface, the free electrons in the metal absorb the energy from the photons and then re-emit them, causing the photons to reflect off of the surface.

3. What is the difference between photon reflection and photon absorption?

The main difference between photon reflection and photon absorption is that in reflection, the photons are bounced off of the surface and remain intact, while in absorption, the photons are absorbed by the material and their energy is converted into heat or other forms of energy.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect photon reflection from a metal surface?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light hits the metal surface, affects the amount of photon reflection. When the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, the reflection is maximized. As the angle of incidence deviates from this equal angle, the amount of reflection decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of photon reflection from a metal surface?

Photon reflection from metal surfaces is used in a variety of applications, such as mirrors, reflective coatings for solar panels, and reflective surfaces in telescopes. It is also used in everyday objects, such as aluminum foil, which reflects light to keep food warm. In addition, photon reflection is used in photography to create images by reflecting light off of different surfaces.