Charging and Discharging RC circuit

In summary, the charging and discharging formulas for a capacitor are Q=Qo (1-e^-t/RC) and Q=Qoe^(-t/RC), respectively. Qo represents the maximum charge on the capacitor at the end of charging, while for discharging it represents the initial charge. The current formula for charging is I(t)=Ie^-t/RC, with I representing the initial maximum current at the beginning of the process. For discharging, I represents the initial current in the circuit. When t=0, Q is usually zero at the beginning of charging, and the charge can be discharged if there is some initial charge. As for the current, when t=0, I is usually the maximum
lha08

Homework Statement

I'm confused by the interpretation of the charging and discharging formulas:
Charging: Q= Qo (1-e^-t/RC)
Discharging: Q=Qoe^(-t/RC)
Like for Qo, like apparently its the max charge, so does that mean at the very end of charging? Initially, i thought that Qo meant that the initial charge (obviously it can't be zero...) but then for the Qo in discharging, what does that one mean? Like apparently it's the initial charge, do they mean the max charge of the capacitor at the end of charging?

And also, for the current formula for charging I(t)=Ie^-t/RC, does 'I' refer to the initial current that is maximum at the beginning of this process? And for the discharging one, i thought that there is no current at the beginning, but then in my book it says that I is the initial current in the circuit..are they referring to the charging current?
I know I'm really confused but any help would be much appreciated...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Plug in t=0, what do you get for Q? What is the limit of Q if t tends to infinity?
When you start to charge a capacitor, the charge is usually zero on it at the beginning. And you can discharge a capacitor if it has some charge.

As for the current, plug in t=0, what do you get? Then find the limit of I when t tends to infinity.

ehild

Last edited:
Dude. Qo is the ultimate charge you can put on the capacitor after you charge it forever.
So you put a really big t in your equation Q= Qo (1-e^-t/RC) and e^-t/RC becomes like zero because you can try it. Put bigger and bigger t/RC in your calculator but make it negative. e^-t/RC starts going to zero with t way bigger than RC. So Q=Qo when it's totally charged.

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. The capacitor stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field, while the resistor limits the flow of current.

How does an RC circuit charge?

An RC circuit charges when a voltage is applied to it. The capacitor initially acts as an open circuit, allowing current to flow through the resistor and charge the capacitor. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases until it reaches the same voltage as the source.

What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads (RC). This value is important because it determines how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges.

How does an RC circuit discharge?

An RC circuit discharges when the voltage source is removed. The capacitor acts as a closed circuit, allowing the stored energy to flow through the resistor and back into the circuit. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it decreases until it reaches 0V.

What are some real-world applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have many practical applications, including timing circuits, filters, and smoothing circuits. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, computers, and cameras. Additionally, RC circuits are essential components in power supplies, motor control circuits, and audio amplifiers.