How Do You Calculate Heat Capacity and Specific Heat in Chemistry Problems?

In summary, for the first question, a 2kg sample of aluminium absorbs 64.4 kJ of heat from its surroundings, resulting in a temperature increase of 65.1 degrees. The formula used was q=mcT, with the specific heat of aluminium assumed to be 0.9930.For the second question, a 0.5g organic compound was completely combusted in air in a constant pressure calorimeter with a heat capacity of 510 J K-1, resulting in a temperature rise of 5.9 degrees. The heat of combustion of the compound was then calculated to be 3009 J, or approximately 3.00 kJ per gram. The formula used was q=mcT
luysion
hey for this question
If a 2kg sample of aluminium absorbs 64.4 kJ of heat from its surrounds by how much does its temperature increase

the answer is 65.1

how? i got 32.5
q=mcT
T=q/mc=(64.6x10^3)/(2000x.9930)

also same for this question
If 0.5g of an organic compound is completely combusted in air in a constant press calorimeter with a heat capacity of 510 J K-1 a temperature rise of 5.9 degrees is recorded. The heat of combustion (kJ g-) of the compound is approximately

the answer is 3009...
i convered C to c then used q=mcT
which gave me 3009 J , so shouldn't it be 3.00 kJ
so 3.00/0.5 to get kJ per gram

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To some extent you are twice right (that is assuming specific heat of Al is 0.9930). Although details are fuzzy at best.

Can you elaborate on

luysion said:
i convered C to c

You mean you converted 5.9 to 5.9?

luysion said:
then used q=mcT

And what did you put for m?

Yeah where did you get the mass lol.

Cheers for the reply guys,
Um, i meant C as in heat capacity and c as in specific heat (c=C/m)
the mass was given as 2kg

luysion said:
Um, i meant C as in heat capacity and c as in specific heat (c=C/m)

Show precisely what you did and how, as as far as I can tell you did something else. You should use heat capacity of the calorimeter to calculate amount of heat (and numbers show that's what you did), not specific heat. And if you calculated specific heat - specific heat of what, and what have you used for mass (c=C/m)?

1. What is the definition of heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

2. How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured by performing a controlled experiment where a known amount of heat is added to a substance and its resulting temperature change is recorded.

3. What factors affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature. The type of substance and its phase (solid, liquid, or gas) can also play a role in its heat capacity.

4. How does heat capacity differ from specific heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the total amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance, while specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

5. Why is heat capacity an important concept in thermodynamics?

Heat capacity is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how much energy is needed to change the temperature of a substance and how substances respond to changes in temperature. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy required for various processes, such as heating or cooling a substance.