Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics Undergrad Degree?

In summary, the individual passed their A levels in Physics, Maths and Further Maths with AAB and is interested in pursuing a masters in Engineering with an undergraduate degree in Astrophysics. They are considering options such as aerodynamics or aerospace and are wondering if it is possible to get a relevant masters without starting with an undergraduate course in engineering. Other than checking university websites for entry requirements, the individual may also find that a masters may not be necessary as some companies in the aerospace industry are open to hiring those with a physics degree.
Lengalicious
I passed my A levels in Physics, Maths And Further Maths AAB, and am really fascinated about Astrophysics, so i thought i might be up to the challenge. However i was curious as to whether it would be possible to get a masters in some sort of Engineering, with an undergrad degree in Astrophysics? Or would i completely have to start with an undergrad course in engineering. I'm thinking maybe aerodynamics or aerospace. Something along those lines so its not completely out of relevance with Astrophysics. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Lengalicious said:
I passed my A levels in Physics, Maths And Further Maths AAB, and am really fascinated about Astrophysics, so i thought i might be up to the challenge. However i was curious as to whether it would be possible to get a masters in some sort of Engineering, with an undergrad degree in Astrophysics? Or would i completely have to start with an undergrad course in engineering. I'm thinking maybe aerodynamics or aerospace. Something along those lines so its not completely out of relevance with Astrophysics. Thanks

Yes, it would be possible. You can always have a quick check on a few university websites to see what the entry requirements are for aeronautical engineering masters - you should find most of them are 2:1 Honours in a related science subject.

The masters will be difficult since you'll be missing a lot of the analysis tools that engineers will learn; things like FEA aren't normally covered in physics.

Otherwise, I remember when I applied to university I had plans of taking a masters afterwards - by the end of my degree I had completely changed my mind. A masters course is expensive, but also a lot of the time just 'gets in the way' of what you want to do next. You will find that lots of the big companies that have interests in aerospace will recruit you with a physics degree on it's own (BSc hons), so whilst a masters wouldn't hurt it probably isn't worth the extra year. See: SELEX/Galileo, EADS Astrium websites, they have graduate programmes that physicists are welcome to apply to. It's essentially a one or two year training programme that, even if you did have a degree in aerospace, you would need to go through. This helps you learn the business the way they want you to, and you'll get all the training you need.

If you get other replies, it's likely almost all of them will pertain to the US system, which is obviously different from ours.

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics and a traditional Masters in Engineering?

A Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics combines the principles of engineering with the study of astrophysics, allowing students to apply their engineering skills to the exploration and understanding of the universe. A traditional Masters in Engineering focuses solely on engineering principles and applications in various industries.

2. Can I pursue a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics if my undergraduate degree is not in engineering or astrophysics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics with an undergraduate degree in a related field such as physics, mathematics, or computer science. However, some programs may require prerequisite courses in engineering or astrophysics.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics?

Graduates with a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and telecommunications. They can also work in research and development for government agencies or private organizations.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics program?

The duration of a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics program varies depending on the university and program structure. Generally, it takes 1-2 years to complete the program full-time. Part-time options may also be available.

5. How does a Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics prepare students for further education or research in the field?

A Masters in Engineering with Astrophysics provides students with a strong foundation in both engineering and astrophysics, preparing them for further education and research in the field. The program also involves hands-on experience and research projects, giving students the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue a PhD in a related field.