Flexible tank stress analysis

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed the need for a method to analyze stress in a flexible fuel tank and the challenges of using simple hydrostatics. Understanding the material properties and utilizing a more complex approach, such as FEA, are key factors in accurately assessing stress levels. Recommended resources include textbooks, articles, and software programs for FEA and stress analysis.
denysy1
Hi,

I am looking for a method to analyze stress within a flexible fuel tank, akin to the one in the picture:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00pBiEqWDJnVbe/Flexible-Fuel-Tank-KSD-009-.jpg

So far I have not been able to find a text that would discuss something similar. Simple hydrostatics do not apply if the tank is filled to a point where there is pressure head at the top of the tank.
I would also like to be able to derive the cross section geometry of the tank, but that is not necessary.

I would very much appreciate any pointers to any useful reading material.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry regarding stress analysis of a flexible fuel tank. This is a complex issue and requires a thorough understanding of fluid mechanics and structural engineering principles. There are a few key factors to consider when analyzing stress in a flexible fuel tank.

Firstly, the material of the tank itself will greatly impact its ability to withstand stress. Flexible fuel tanks are typically made of materials such as nylon, polyurethane, or rubber, which all have different mechanical properties and stress-strain relationships. It is important to understand the specific properties of the material in order to accurately assess its stress levels.

Secondly, the shape and geometry of the tank will also play a significant role in stress analysis. As you mentioned, simple hydrostatics may not apply in this case due to the pressure head at the top of the tank. Therefore, a more complex approach, such as finite element analysis (FEA), may be necessary to accurately model the tank's behavior under different loading conditions.

In terms of resources, I would recommend looking into textbooks or articles on fluid mechanics and structural mechanics, as well as specific case studies or research papers on flexible fuel tanks. Additionally, there are software programs available that can assist with FEA and stress analysis of complex structures like flexible fuel tanks.

I hope this information is helpful and points you in the right direction. Best of luck with your analysis!

1. What is a flexible tank stress analysis?

A flexible tank stress analysis is a process in which the structural integrity of a flexible tank is evaluated under various stress conditions. This involves analyzing the tank's materials, design, and operational parameters to determine how it will perform under stress.

2. Why is a flexible tank stress analysis important?

A flexible tank stress analysis is important because it helps ensure the safe and efficient operation of the tank. It can identify potential weaknesses or failure points in the tank's design, allowing for modifications to be made before any problems occur.

3. How is a flexible tank stress analysis conducted?

A flexible tank stress analysis typically involves using computer-aided design (CAD) software and finite element analysis (FEA) tools. This allows for a detailed and accurate evaluation of the tank's stress levels and potential failure points.

4. What types of stress can a flexible tank experience?

A flexible tank can experience various types of stress, including internal pressure, external pressure, thermal stress, and mechanical stress. These stresses can be caused by factors such as changes in temperature, fluid movement, or external forces.

5. Can a flexible tank stress analysis be performed on existing tanks?

Yes, a flexible tank stress analysis can be performed on existing tanks. This can help identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the tank's design and allow for modifications to be made to ensure its continued safe operation.