Laser Welding Hastelloy and the problems associated with it

In summary: Laser welding is a great way to weld different materials, but it is important to choose the right laser setting and make sure the material is an interference fit.
AWOC
Hello. I am am trying to find out why Hastelloy cracks during laser welding. What techniques are used to lessen the cracks etc. The main focus is to learn as much as I can about laser welding this material and what laser setting to start with . A simple google search has gotten me no where and seems that laser welding companies are very discreet about their processes. Any info or articles that you can point me towards would be great. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is little information out there, but I have had to pry into this before.

What are you welding to, what is the weld geometry?

I am welding a stainless round 304 barrel to a hastelloy round tube using a rotary fixture.

Ugh.

I've seen this before welding a round 316 to a 316 barrel - so it's pretty similar, only your problem is a lot more complicated because you are welding dissimilar materials, usually a big no-no.

Cracking is usually caused by thermal expansion during the welding process - the sleeve expands, welds, the melt solidifies, and the sleeve thermally contracts, stressing the weld bead and leaving cracks.

The best solution is to make the sleeve an interference fit. The tension should dominate the expansion forces as minimize the problem. I would also try to match the materials, if possible - this will also help with corrosion in the future.

I am trying to weld 5mm wide barrel to 1.7mm tube. These are small scale parts that the material choice is not decided by me, but rather the costumer.

I have sent these parts out to other laser companies and when the parts come back I have noticed:
1) very smooth almost mirror finish weld joint
2) No roll of dimes look

I am assuming the welds were done at super high frequency rates or a continuous beam weld. I don't know how this was achieved.

1. What is Hastelloy and why is it commonly used in laser welding?

Hastelloy is a group of nickel-based alloys that are known for their excellent resistance to corrosion and high temperatures. They are commonly used in laser welding because of their ability to withstand extreme heat and maintain their properties, making them ideal for use in high temperature applications such as aerospace and chemical processing industries.

2. What are the main challenges associated with laser welding Hastelloy?

The main challenges associated with laser welding Hastelloy include controlling the heat input, avoiding overheating and cracking, and maintaining the desired mechanical properties of the welded joint. Additionally, Hastelloy is a difficult material to machine, which can make it challenging to prepare for welding.

3. How does the laser welding process affect the properties of Hastelloy?

Laser welding can result in changes to the microstructure and mechanical properties of Hastelloy due to the rapid heating and cooling cycles. This can lead to changes in strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance, which must be carefully considered and controlled during the welding process.

4. What techniques can be used to overcome the problems associated with laser welding Hastelloy?

To overcome the challenges of laser welding Hastelloy, techniques such as preheating, controlling the heat input, and using filler metals with similar composition can be employed. It is also important to carefully control the welding parameters and use proper welding techniques to minimize the potential for cracking and other defects.

5. How can the quality of laser welded Hastelloy joints be ensured?

To ensure the quality of laser welded Hastelloy joints, it is important to carefully monitor and control the welding parameters, properly prepare the material before welding, and conduct thorough testing and inspection of the welded joints. This can include non-destructive testing methods such as x-ray or ultrasonic testing, as well as destructive testing to evaluate the strength and properties of the weld. Additionally, following established welding procedures and standards can help ensure the quality of the welded joints.