Assistance with gambit meshing process for 3d pump impeller

In summary, meshing complex geometries for CFD analysis can be challenging, but with the right approach and tools, it can be accomplished successfully. It is important to familiarize yourself with the geometry, choose the appropriate mesh type, utilize dedicated meshing software, and consult with experienced colleagues or experts for guidance.
themj_1
Hello,

As part of my final year project I am to run a CFD analysis of a pump impeller. I have been provided with the impeller and diffuser CAD models and successfully imported these into gambit. However, after completing a number of the gambit tutorials I still have no experience in meshing such a complex geometry and am struggling with which steps I should take to begin.
I do not believe the model can be simplified using symmetry due to the relationship of the number of impeller vanes to the number of diffuser vanes.

Can anyone provide any advice on how to begin the meshing process?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Meshing complex geometries can be a challenging task, but with the right approach and tools, it can be accomplished successfully. Here are a few suggestions to help you begin the meshing process for your pump impeller project:

1. Familiarize yourself with the geometry: Before starting the meshing process, it is important to have a good understanding of the geometry of the impeller and diffuser. Study the CAD models provided to you and make note of any intricate details or features that may require special attention during meshing.

2. Determine the type of mesh to use: There are various types of meshes that can be used for CFD analysis, such as structured, unstructured, and hybrid meshes. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your project. In your case, since you have a complex geometry, an unstructured mesh may be more suitable.

3. Use meshing software: While Gambit is a good tool for geometry creation, it may not be the best for meshing complex geometries. Consider using a dedicated meshing software such as ANSYS Meshing or Pointwise, which have advanced tools for meshing complex geometries.

4. Utilize symmetry if possible: Even if you believe that the model cannot be simplified using symmetry, it is still worth exploring this option. You may be able to simplify the geometry by using a smaller section of it, which can reduce the complexity of the mesh.

5. Consult with experienced colleagues or experts: Don't hesitate to reach out to colleagues or experts who have experience in meshing complex geometries. They may be able to provide valuable insights and tips to help you with your project.

I hope these suggestions will help you get started with the meshing process for your pump impeller project. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the gambit meshing process for 3D pump impellers?

The gambit meshing process is used to create a structured grid of elements around a 3D pump impeller. This grid is essential for accurate computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, which are used to study the flow behavior and performance of the impeller.

2. What are the main challenges in the gambit meshing process for 3D pump impellers?

One of the main challenges in the gambit meshing process is creating a mesh that is both accurate and efficient. This can involve finding the right balance between the number of elements and the desired level of detail. Additionally, the complex geometry of pump impellers can make it difficult to create a high-quality mesh.

3. What techniques are commonly used to improve the quality of the mesh for 3D pump impellers?

Several techniques can be used to improve the quality of the mesh for 3D pump impellers. These include adaptive mesh refinement, which involves adding more elements in regions of high flow gradient, and smoothing techniques, which can help reduce element distortion. Additionally, using a hybrid meshing approach, which combines structured and unstructured elements, can also improve mesh quality.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting the appropriate meshing method for 3D pump impellers?

When selecting a meshing method for 3D pump impellers, factors such as the geometry of the impeller, the flow conditions, and the desired level of accuracy should be considered. Additionally, the availability of computational resources and the software capabilities should also be taken into account.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of the gambit mesh for 3D pump impellers?

To ensure the accuracy of the gambit mesh for 3D pump impellers, it is important to perform a grid independence study. This involves running the simulation with different mesh resolutions and comparing the results to determine the level of grid refinement needed for accurate results. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field and validate the results against experimental data, if available.