Deriving pressure, density and temperature profile of atmosphere

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the pressure, density, and temperature profiles of an adiabatically stratified plane-parallel atmosphere under constant gravitational acceleration and consisting of an ideal gas of mean molecular weight \mu. The problem involves finding the temperature and pressure at the summit given values for \mu, g, and T at sea level. The conversation also touches on using the barometric formula and ideal gas law, as well as the adiabatic condition, to solve for the temperature profile in terms of z.
voxel

Homework Statement

Derive the pressure, density and temperature profiles of an adiabatically stratified plane-parallel atmosphere under constant gravitational acceleration g. Assume that the atmosphere consists of an ideal gas of mean molecular weight [tex]\mu[/tex].

Given [tex]\mu[/tex]=14u, g = 9.81m/s^2, z = 8500m, T (@sea level) = 300K, calculate temperature and pressure at the summit.

Homework Equations

Edit: removed the ideal gas law and barometric formula because I think I was on the wrong track with them...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to derive the barometric formula (which doubles as a pressure and density profile) from the ideal gas law, but am stuck in a bit of a circular problem: I need the temperature at the top of the summit to get the pressure, and vice versa. I don't know how to proceed, or maybe I've taken the wrong approach.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does "adiabatically stratified" mean? Is it that pVγ= const. ?

kuruman said:
What does "adiabatically stratified" mean?

I interpreted it to mean that the atmosphere can be modeled as planes of thickness dz that are adiabatic.

voxel said:
I interpreted it to mean that the atmosphere can be modeled as planes of thickness dz that are adiabatic.
They "are adiabatic" in what way? Could it be that as z changes, the product pVγ remains constant? If so you have three equations: barometric, ideal gas and adiabatic condition and three thermodynamic variables. You can eliminate any two variables and find the other in terms of z.

I think you're right in that as z changes, the product [tex]PV^\gamma = const[/tex].

However, I'm not seeing how I can eliminate P and V to get T(z)..

edit: clarification: I don't see how I can eliminate two of the thermodynamic variables without introducing an unknown constant.

Last edited:
Use the ideal gas law to eliminate the volume in the adiabatic condition to find an expression that says (Some power of p)*(some other power of T) = constant. Find the value of the constant from the initial conditions. Solve for the pressure and replace the expression you get for p in the barometric equation. This will give you an equation with T and z only.

1. How is the pressure profile of the atmosphere derived?

The pressure profile of the atmosphere is derived through a combination of measurements and mathematical models. Atmospheric pressure is measured at different altitudes using instruments such as barometers and satellites. This data is then used to create a mathematical model that takes into account factors such as temperature, gravity, and the composition of the atmosphere. By using this model, scientists are able to estimate the pressure at any given altitude.

2. What factors affect the density profile of the atmosphere?

The density profile of the atmosphere is affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the atmosphere. As altitude increases, the density of the atmosphere decreases due to the decrease in pressure and temperature. Additionally, the density can also be affected by factors such as humidity and the presence of pollutants or other particles in the atmosphere.

3. How is the temperature profile of the atmosphere determined?

The temperature profile of the atmosphere is determined using a combination of measurements and mathematical models. Temperature is measured at different altitudes using instruments such as thermometers and weather balloons. This data is then used to create a mathematical model that takes into account factors such as solar radiation, atmospheric composition, and altitude. By using this model, scientists are able to estimate the temperature at any given altitude.

4. What is the relationship between pressure, density, and temperature in the atmosphere?

The relationship between pressure, density, and temperature in the atmosphere is described by the ideal gas law. This law states that as pressure increases, density and temperature also increase, while as pressure decreases, density and temperature decrease. However, this relationship is not always consistent due to other factors such as atmospheric composition and altitude.

5. How does the atmosphere's profile vary at different locations on Earth?

The atmosphere's profile can vary at different locations on Earth due to a variety of factors. These factors include the location's latitude, altitude, and proximity to bodies of water. For example, areas located closer to the equator tend to have a higher temperature and lower atmospheric pressure, while areas at higher altitudes tend to have lower temperatures and atmospheric pressures. Additionally, areas near large bodies of water may have more moisture in the atmosphere, leading to a different density profile compared to inland areas.