Exploring NASA's Orion Mission: What You Need to Know

• NASA
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    orion
In summary, the Orion CEV has been a part of the Constellation project for a decade and is not a new concept. It is uncertain where it will be used now that Ares I has been canceled, but it may potentially be used on a Delta IV or Atlas V for NASA's COTS LEO manned program. There is also the possibility of it being used on a Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicle according to Wikipedia.
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. Not new. The Orion CEV has been part of the Constellation project since its inception. I'm not sure where it will go now that Ares I has been canceled, but if I had to guess I suppose it will end up getting used on a Delta IV or Atlas V as part of a bid for NASA's COTS LEO manned program.

EDIT:
According to Wikipedia it will go on the Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle-Derived_Launch_Vehicle" )

Last edited by a moderator:
It is still current, but not new. It has been in the works for probably a decade. It's future is in question though in light of the cancellation of Constellation.

What is NASA's Orion mission?

NASA's Orion mission is a program that aims to send astronauts to deep space destinations, including the moon and eventually Mars. It is part of NASA's broader Artemis program, which is focused on sustainable human exploration of the moon.

How is Orion different from other NASA missions?

Orion differs from other NASA missions in that it is specifically designed for deep space exploration. It is also designed to be the most advanced spacecraft ever built, with the ability to support human missions lasting up to 21 days.

When is the Orion mission scheduled to launch?

The Orion mission is scheduled to launch in November 2021 on the Artemis I mission, which will be an uncrewed test flight. The first crewed mission, Artemis II, is currently planned for 2023.

What are the key components of the Orion spacecraft?

The Orion spacecraft consists of four main components: the crew module, the service module, the launch abort system, and the spacecraft adapter. The crew module is where the astronauts will live and work during the mission, while the service module provides power, propulsion, and life support systems. The launch abort system is a safety feature that can quickly pull the crew module away from the rocket in case of an emergency. The spacecraft adapter connects the crew module to the launch vehicle.

How will the Orion mission contribute to future space exploration?

The Orion mission will play a crucial role in NASA's long-term goal of sending humans to Mars. The data and technology gathered from the mission will help inform future missions and advancements in space exploration. It will also help expand our understanding of deep space and our ability to sustain human life in these environments.