Becoming a Math Enthusiast: A Self-Study Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest and desire to learn more about math and their question on how to teach themselves. Suggestions are given to focus on understanding and solving challenging problems, as well as utilizing available resources such as online videos and textbooks. The importance of staying motivated and interested in the subject is emphasized.
thetexan
Ok, I am really hooked now.

I have always enjoyed math and love math problems and everything math. I am enthrawled by the threads here and only wish I could understand it all.

I am a typical layman hobbiest math enthusiast but I haven't done much in the way of real study since high school. I have a good grasp of algebra but I want to learn more.

So here is the question. How can I go about teaching myself more math?

Starting with a good refresher on algebra and trig (I know a little calc but not really much) what is your advise on how to study to increase my math skills? I can go to the local university and check out any math book on any subject imaginable so resources are not an issue.

For example...after math and trig... what would be a path to follow?

Let's say

Pre calc
calc
so on
so on
etc.

Any ideas. Keep in mind I am an amateur but I have desire and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience reading a lot of books is not the best option. The way to go to increase your knowledge while keeping your interest in the subject is to find one or two unsolved problems and try to solve them.

The problems must be very easy to understand but very difficult to solve, for example:

Proove that every even number can be written a a sum of two primes.

or a computational problem

Let N be a semiprime number (only two factors) i.e. N = P * Q, find a way to get P or Q in a number of steps proportional to the number of digits of N.

Studying easy to understand but yet unsolved problems will keep you interested in the subject and will get you thrugh almost all domains of mathematics because people have had to use all the known tools of mathematics so far in trying to solve them!

Good luck.

thetexan said:
Ok, I am really hooked now.

I have always enjoyed math and love math problems and everything math. I am enthrawled by the threads here and only wish I could understand it all.

I am a typical layman hobbiest math enthusiast but I haven't done much in the way of real study since high school. I have a good grasp of algebra but I want to learn more.

So here is the question. How can I go about teaching myself more math?

Starting with a good refresher on algebra and trig (I know a little calc but not really much) what is your advise on how to study to increase my math skills? I can go to the local university and check out any math book on any subject imaginable so resources are not an issue.

For example...after math and trig... what would be a path to follow?

Let's say

Pre calc
calc
so on
so on
etc.

Any ideas. Keep in mind I am an amateur but I have desire and time.
I suggest viewing any of the video topics that may interest you here http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse
What started out as Sal making a few algebra videos for his cousins has grown to over 2,100 videos and 100 self-paced exercises and assessments covering everything from arithmetic to physics and more.

I partially agree with atomthick, but instead of taking a problem that's out of thin air and trying to solve it. I'd go buy Stewart's Algebra and Trigonometry book first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534380298/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This book has whole sections in between chapters on challenge problems. The problems in these sections are thought provoking and difficult but they utilize the concepts from the previous chapters so you have some guidance. I remember spending weeks on problems from those sections and it was very worthwhile when I solved them. These type of problems kept me motivated during self study. Good luck.

I can relate to your enthusiasm for math and the desire to learn more. Self-study is a great way to improve your math skills and there are many resources available to help you on your journey. Here are some suggestions for how to approach your self-study:

1. Start with a strong foundation: It's great that you already have a good grasp of algebra, but I would recommend starting with a thorough review of algebra and trigonometry before moving on to more advanced topics. This will ensure that you have a strong foundation to build upon.

2. Utilize online resources: There are many online resources available for self-study, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These platforms offer free courses and tutorials on a variety of math topics, from basic algebra to advanced calculus.

3. Use textbooks and practice problems: As you mentioned, you have access to a variety of math textbooks at your local university. I recommend choosing a textbook that is used in introductory college courses and working through the chapters and practice problems. This will give you a structured approach to learning and allow you to test your understanding.

4. Seek out a study group or tutor: Studying with others can be a great way to improve your math skills. Consider joining a study group or finding a tutor who can help explain difficult concepts and provide additional practice problems.

5. Follow a logical progression: As for the specific path to follow after algebra and trigonometry, it really depends on your interests and goals. However, a common progression is pre-calculus, calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. You can also explore other branches of math, such as statistics, geometry, and number theory, depending on your interests.

In summary, self-study is a great way to improve your math skills, but it does require dedication and effort. Make use of online resources, textbooks, and study groups, and follow a logical progression to build your knowledge and skills. With time and practice, you will become a more confident and knowledgeable math enthusiast.

1. What is "Becoming a Math Enthusiast: A Self-Study Journey" about?

"Becoming a Math Enthusiast: A Self-Study Journey" is a self-help book that aims to guide readers on how to develop a love and passion for mathematics. The book provides practical tips, strategies, and exercises for readers to enhance their math skills and overcome any fear or anxiety towards the subject.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is suitable for anyone who wants to improve their math skills and develop a love for the subject. It is ideal for students, teachers, parents, and anyone who wants to learn math in a fun and engaging way.

3. Can this book help someone who is struggling with math?

Absolutely! "Becoming a Math Enthusiast: A Self-Study Journey" is designed to help anyone who is struggling with math. The book offers practical advice and techniques to overcome math anxiety and improve math skills. It also includes exercises and activities to make learning math more enjoyable and less daunting.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in math to benefit from this book?

No, the book is suitable for all levels of math proficiency. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes additional resources for readers who want to further their knowledge in specific areas of math.

5. How can this book help someone who already loves math?

Even for those who already have a passion for math, this book can provide new insights and strategies for enhancing their skills. It offers a structured approach to self-study and includes activities and exercises to deepen understanding and challenge the reader. Additionally, the book provides resources for further exploration and learning in various areas of math.