What is the solution to this equation involving cats, dogs, and lambs?

• Thread starter Bad_Boy_Blue
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving assigning digits to letters and finding the sum of two four digit numbers. One person suggests using a computer to solve it while another questions if it is a hypothetical example or a real question from a book or homework. They also discuss the possibility of there being no solution or if a computer program can be used to solve it.
Bad_Boy_Blue
If cats + dogs = lamb, what does dogs equal?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Please simplify your answers as I'm finding this concept rather difficult to get my head around.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
If cats + dogs = lamb, what does dogs equal?
Surely you just move the cats to the other side of the equals sign. Right?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Is this a problem where every letter is assigned a digit? And thus this problem is the sum of two four digit numbers? Or is it something else entirely?

- Warren

If it is what chroot is suggesting it is, it looks hard to figure without using a computer. Making a few simple eliminations (O=0 or 9), reduces the number of possibilities to about 10^5 - notice that there are 10 different letters, so all the digits must be used. Hmmm...looks like a toughie.

Are you just making up a generic example off the top of your head, or is this the exact question from a book or homework ? If the former, there may be no solution at all, and even if there are solutions, they may not be paper-and-pencil-able.

Are you allowed to write a program ?

Last edited:

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It is typically written with an equal sign (=) between the two sides.

2. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you must isolate the variable (usually represented by x) on one side of the equal sign. This is done by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

3. What are the steps to solving an equation?

The steps to solving an equation are: 1) simplify each side of the equation by combining like terms, 2) use inverse operations (addition/subtraction or multiplication/division) to isolate the variable, 3) check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can you show me an example of solving an equation?

Sure! Let's solve the equation 3x + 2 = 11. First, we simplify by combining like terms: 3x = 9. Then, we use inverse operations to isolate the variable: x = 3. Finally, we check our solution by plugging it back into the original equation: 3(3) + 2 = 11, which is true. Therefore, x = 3 is the solution to this equation.

5. What if I can't solve the equation?

If you are having trouble solving an equation, don't worry! You can always reach out to a tutor, teacher, or friend for help. You can also try breaking the equation into smaller parts or using different strategies to solve it. With practice and persistence, you can become better at solving equations!