Is There More Than One Way to Evaluate Integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses differing methods of evaluating integrals, with one textbook claiming that the integral \int_{-2}^{2} x^3 dx must be split up and evaluated term by term while another textbook argues that it is simply 0 due to the function being odd. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of whether \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)dx can be evaluated as \lim_{a\to\infty}\int_{-a}^{a} f(x)dx, with one participant expressing hope that this is not the case.
Nebuchadnezza
I have seen in some textbooks that the value of integrals are treated differently.

In one textbook it said to evaluate
[tex] \int_{-2}^{2} x^3 dx [/tex]
I would say immediately that the answer is zero. because the function is odd around origo.

While the textbook claimed you had to split ut the integral, and integrate term by term.

I would have agreed with the textbook if it had said , find the area of x^3 from -1 to 1. But just giving the integral, isn't this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nebuchadnezza! :smile:

Nebuchadnezza said:
I have seen in some textbooks that the value of integrals are treated differently.

In one textbook it said to evaluate
[tex] \int_{-2}^{2} x^3 dx [/tex]
I would say immediately that the answer is zero. because the function is odd around origo.

While the textbook claimed you had to split ut the integral, and integrate term by term.

I would have agreed with the textbook if it had said , find the area of x^3 from -1 to 1. But just giving the integral, isn't this wrong?

You are certainly correct in saying that the integral is zero because the function is odd. I don't quite see why the textbook should say that. I guess the textbook wants you to find the area, and then you need to split up the integral. However, if they just give the integral and say nothing about the area, then you are correct in saying that it is 0.

So, judging from what you give me, I would say that you are correct.

I wonder if the textbook was treating the topic of whether
[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx [/itex] can be evaluated as [itex] \lim_{a \rightarrow \infty} \int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx [/itex].

Stephen Tashi said:
I wonder if the textbook was treating the topic of whether
[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx [/itex] can be evaluated as [itex] \lim_{a \rightarrow \infty} \int_{-a}^{a} f(x) dx [/itex].

I hope not. That statement is not true!
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)dx[/tex]
must be evaluated as
[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to -\infty}\int_\epsilon^a f(x)dx+ \lim_{\delta\to\infty} \int_a^\delta f(xt)dx[/tex]
where the two limits are evaluated independently. The formula you give is the "Cauchy principle value" which is the same as the integral if the integral exist but may exist even when the integral itself does not.

HallsofIvy said:
I hope not.

Why do you hope not? If the textbook was treating that topic then Nebuchadnezza wasn't hallucinating (at least not to a large extent).

What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation or total of a quantity over a given interval. It is the process of finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. In simpler terms, it measures the total value of a changing quantity.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the total value of a quantity within a given interval. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits of integration and results in a function that represents the accumulation of a quantity over all possible values.

How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated by dividing the interval into smaller sections and finding the area under the curve for each section. The sum of these areas gives an estimate of the total accumulation of the quantity. As the number of sections increases, the estimate becomes more accurate.

What is the relationship between an integral and a derivative?

An integral and a derivative are inverse operations. The derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of a quantity, while the integral represents the accumulation of that quantity. In other words, the derivative gives the slope of a curve, and the integral gives the area under the curve.

What are the applications of integrals in real life?

Integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, work, and fluid flow, to name a few. They are also essential in solving differential equations, which model many real-world phenomena.