Flow Rate and PSI of water exiting a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flow rate and PSI of water exiting the top of a pipe, taking into account factors such as friction losses and the continuity equation. It also mentions using Bernoulli's principle to relate the speed of the piston to the speed of the water and how this affects the flow rate and pressure. However, there is confusion about the exact PSI at the top of the pipe, with some calculations and assumptions being made.
EnquiringMind
I am trying to figure out the flow rate (gallons per minute) and PSI of the water just as it exits the top of the pipe. Is it possible to figure out these out given the information in the diagram?

Attachments

• Pump Example.png
    Pump Example.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are ignoring the friction losses, you can use the continuity equation Q=Av= constant to get the flow rate Q and the fact that pressure is transmitted equally through a fluid to get the psi at the end.

I don't know the velocity. The piston will only move up as quickly as the water can exit the top. I can't just assign an arbitrary velocity to the piston, can I?

As for the PSI of the water coming out the top of the pipe... I must admit I have a bit of confusion. 2000 lbs. is being applied to a piston with an area of roughly 452.16 square inches... which I guess means the piston is applying 4.42 PSI. But when the pipe narrows at the top to 1 square inch... does that mean the water comes out at 4.42 PSI, or does that mean the water comes out at 2000 PSI?

(yes, I am ignoring the weight of the water and the weight of the piston itself, but I could deduct it and still have the same question with a force a bit lower than 2000 lbs being applied to the water).

At the top the water would come out at 4.42 psi.

I am not sure given the information you can find the flow rate at the top.

I think you'll want to take a look at Bernoulli's principle.

You can relate the (unknown) speed of the piston to the (unknown) speed of the water exiting at the top via the areas of the piston and pipe opening. Bernoulli's relationship will provide a relationship between the flow rates, heights, and pressures.

1. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measure of how much fluid (in this case, water) is flowing through a pipe per unit of time. It is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

2. How is flow rate calculated?

Flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of water (in gallons or liters) by the amount of time it takes for the water to flow through the pipe. This can be calculated using a flow meter or by measuring the volume of water collected over a certain period of time.

3. What is PSI?

PSI stands for pounds per square inch and is a unit of measurement for pressure. In the context of water exiting a pipe, it refers to the force with which the water is being pushed through the pipe.

4. How does the flow rate affect the PSI of water exiting a pipe?

The flow rate and PSI of water exiting a pipe are directly related. As the flow rate increases, the pressure (or PSI) also increases. This means that a higher flow rate will result in a stronger force of water exiting the pipe.

5. What factors can affect the flow rate and PSI of water exiting a pipe?

The flow rate and PSI of water exiting a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the type of material the pipe is made of, the viscosity of the water, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe. Changes in water temperature or altitude can also have an impact on flow rate and PSI.