Can a gamma initiate weak decay of a proton?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the reaction p + \gamma \rightarrow n + e+ + \nu_e occurring if the \gamma has enough energy. It is suggested that this reaction could be a combination of two well known interactions: p + \gamma \rightarrow p + e+ + e- and electron capture. The participants conclude that there is nothing fundamentally prohibiting this reaction.
Philip Wood
Gold Member
Does this ever happen?

p + [itex]\gamma[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] n + e+ + [itex]\nu_e[/itex]

It seems possible, if the [itex]\gamma[/itex] has enough energy, but I wonder if anyone can confirm that it happens.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Wood said:
Does this ever happen?

p + [itex]\gamma[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] n + e+ + [itex]\nu_e[/itex]

It seems possible, if the [itex]\gamma[/itex] has enough energy, but I wonder if anyone can confirm that it happens.

While I have no idea of whether this could happen in practice, or what the cross section would be, I don't see anything to fundamentally prohibit it. In fact, it strikes me you could look at this as combining two well known interactions that do occur:

p + gamma -> p + e+ + e-

then, electron capture. Combine, and you get the proposed reaction. This supports the view that there shouldn't be anything fundamental prohibiting this.

Thank you. This does indeed make it seem even more plausible.

1. Can a gamma ray initiate weak decay of a proton?

Yes, a gamma ray can initiate weak decay of a proton through a process called photoproduction. This involves the absorption of a high-energy gamma ray by a proton, which then transforms into a neutron, releasing a positron and a neutrino.

2. How does a gamma ray cause weak decay of a proton?

A gamma ray can cause weak decay of a proton by interacting with the strong nuclear force that holds the proton together. This interaction can cause the proton to transform into a neutron, which is a more stable state.

3. Is the weak decay of a proton a common occurrence?

No, the weak decay of a proton is a rare event and usually only occurs in high-energy environments such as nuclear reactors or during cosmic ray interactions.

4. What are the implications of a gamma ray initiating weak decay of a proton?

The implications of this process are significant for nuclear physics and the understanding of the strong and weak nuclear forces. It also has potential applications in nuclear energy and medicine.

5. Can weak decay of a proton be controlled or manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to control or manipulate the weak decay of a proton. However, ongoing research in nuclear physics may lead to advancements in this area in the future.