Understanding Equations for Chemistry Exam Prep

In summary, the two equations discussed are used to calculate concentration, with the first one involving molar concentration and molar mass, and the second one involving molar concentration and volume. The use of equation triangles was suggested as a method for solving these equations.
hamxa7
can someone clear my concepts about these two equations ?

Equation 1... Concentration(g/dm3) = Concentration (Mol/Dm3) % Mass Of 1 Mole Of Solute

Equation 2... Number Of Moles Of Solute=Concentration(Mol/Dm3) x Volume In Cm3 % 1000cm3

reply quickly.. got my chem school exam tommorow...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hard to tell what you want to clear not knowing what your concepts are.

I guess by % in the second equation you mean division, although the same % in the first equation is placed where the multiplication should be:

[tex]C [\frac {g} {dm^3}] = C [\frac {mol}{dm^3}] \times M_m [\frac {g} {mol}][/tex]

where Mm is a molar mass.

So, what is your problem (apart from procrastination)?

I wanted to know how are they are evolved...
Answering a problem regarding the equations woud be appreciated...

You have to be more specific, at the moment I have no idea what you are interested in - you question is ambiguous and way too vague.

By evolved - do you mean derived? If so, the second is just a a molar concentration definition solved for n, and with a mL <-> L conversion factor added. First can be obtained combining definition of molar concentration and definition of molar mass.

1dm3=1000cm3. The 1000 is just a conversion factor. Equation triangles helped a lot with me. (But volume has to be in dm3)
...^
.../mol\
/vol*conc\
You use an equation triangle by covering up the quantity you want to work out. That leaves an equation to work it out using the other two.
Also:
...^
../mass\
/mol*Mr\
and
...^
.../vol\
/mol*24\

Last edited:
jetwaterluffy said:
Equation triangles

Bastardized way of dealing with equations when you don't know basic algebra. It is really much better to learn general method of solving the equation for an unknown, than to memorize particular approach to particular problem.

1. What are equations in chemistry?

Equations in chemistry are mathematical representations of chemical reactions. They show the reactants and products involved in a reaction, and the stoichiometric relationships between them.

2. Why is it important to understand equations for chemistry exams?

Understanding equations is crucial for success in chemistry exams because they are the basis for solving problems and predicting the outcomes of reactions. They also help in understanding the fundamental concepts of chemistry.

3. How do I balance chemical equations?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients of the reactants and products.

4. Can equations be used to predict the products of a chemical reaction?

Yes, equations can be used to predict the products of a chemical reaction by balancing the equation and looking at the stoichiometric relationships between the reactants and products.

5. Are there any tips for memorizing equations for chemistry exams?

Some tips for memorizing equations for chemistry exams include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts, and using mnemonic devices. It is also helpful to break down complex equations into smaller parts and relate them to real-life examples.