Looking for a not gentle introduction to Q. Physics

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in learning more about Quantum Theory with a focus on the mathematics involved. They mention their background in theoretical Quantum Physics and their current Engineering course. They are looking for recommendations for books that cover a large part of Quantum Theory and have a strong mathematical component. Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" and Ballentine's book are suggested, with a warning about the level of mathematical difficulty in Sakurai's book. Other potential options mentioned include Griffiths' book and Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics." The speaker also mentions being open to learning more about Classical Mechanics, potentially through Goldstein's book.
JamesOrland
I know a fair amount of theoretical Quantum Physics, how things work within it, and the ideas that ground it. I lack, though, the more advanced mathematics.

Right now I'm taking an Engineering course, and last year I studied a little bit of Quantum Physics, but the calculations were limited to one-dimensional applications of the Schrödinger Equation and such.

I have the Feynman Lectures on Physics, but I do not believe they ever get far enough into the theories (I haven't finished reading even the first one yet, due to lack of time caused by school) for it to be truly interesting.

So what I'm looking for is a recommendation of one or more books about Quantum Theory (and I want math in it) that cover a large part of it, the more the merrier. I am pretty confident I can handle most of the more advanced math in the theory, as long as I have a build-up of knowledge before that to give me some basis (i.e. a book that starts Chapter 1 talking about entanglement, decoherence and making three-dimensional time-independent calculations is not exactly what I'm looking for).

I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" or Ballentine's book, which goes a bit more into detail.

When you studied QM what book did you use?

Sakurai is good if you have a basic grounding in QM and have a moderately good understanding of linear algebra. Be forewarned though... if your math background is only calc and diff eq, Sakurai will be a shock. It is a great book, but an engineering class and one dimensional Schrodinger equation are a very different language than Sakurai.

Sakurai starts by considering a number of spin measurements on photons. If you know L.A. it will be fine. If not, I would recommend Griffiths. It is a bit slower paced. It skips some things, but I feel like I get Sakurai better after reading Griffiths.

So it really depends on your math background and a bit of your classical mechanics background. Sakurai assumes you have read Goldstein or are at least comfortable with the basics of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics.

I have only read these two in any depth and can't comment on any other texts.

DrewD said:
When you studied QM what book did you use?

Sakurai is good if you have a basic grounding in QM and have a moderately good understanding of linear algebra. Be forewarned though... if your math background is only calc and diff eq, Sakurai will be a shock. It is a great book, but an engineering class and one dimensional Schrodinger equation are a very different language than Sakurai.

Sakurai starts by considering a number of spin measurements on photons. If you know L.A. it will be fine. If not, I would recommend Griffiths. It is a bit slower paced. It skips some things, but I feel like I get Sakurai better after reading Griffiths.

So it really depends on your math background and a bit of your classical mechanics background. Sakurai assumes you have read Goldstein or are at least comfortable with the basics of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics.

I have only read these two in any depth and can't comment on any other texts.

I used just a very very basic Physics textbook called Physics IV, by Sears & Zemansky. Very, very basic, indeed :P

I do have a pretty good understanding of linear algebra, yes :)

Also, when you say Goldstein, do you mean this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201657023/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ?

I haven't read it, but might look into it. Generally I trust my knowledge of Classical Mechanics, but it never does any good to be too arrogant to try to learn more. Besides, having another physics book on my shelf will not make it any uglier :D

I agree. Griffiths is a well-written undergrad-level book. As for advanced textbooks, Sakurai is a good, but I would definitely add Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. It's more formal mathematically and the derivations are a little more in depth, but it covers most of the same material as Sakurai.

1. What is Q. Physics?

Q. Physics, also known as quantum physics, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It involves understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale.

2. Why is it called "not gentle introduction"?

The term "not gentle introduction" is often used to describe introductory texts or resources that are more challenging and require a certain level of background knowledge. In the case of Q. Physics, it is a complex and abstract subject that can be difficult to grasp without prior knowledge of classical physics and mathematics.

3. What are some key concepts in Q. Physics?

Some key concepts in Q. Physics include quantum mechanics, wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. How is Q. Physics relevant to everyday life?

While Q. Physics may seem abstract and theoretical, it has numerous real-world applications. For example, it has led to the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and MRI machines. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials at the atomic level, which is important in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology.

5. Is Q. Physics still a developing field?

Yes, Q. Physics is a constantly evolving field with ongoing research and discoveries. While many of its fundamental principles were established in the early 20th century, scientists continue to explore and study the complexities of quantum systems and their applications. As technology advances, our understanding of Q. Physics also continues to expand.