Book for a first proof-oriented calculus course

In summary: I loved Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds.In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of two calculus textbooks, Tom Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1 and Spivak's Calculus, for a proof-oriented calculus course. Spivak's book is described as more fun but Apostol's as more scholarly. The conversation also mentions the level of difficulty and coverage of multivariable calculus in both books, with Spivak's being more condensed and sophisticated. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and real analysis before tackling Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for another advanced multivariable calculus book by Williamson, Crowell
cesaruelas
Could anyone give any insight on Tom Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1 and Spivak's Calculus related to a proof-oriented calculus course covering the following topics: Axioms for the real numbers, Riemann integral, limits and continuous functions, derivatives of functions of one variable, fundamental theorem of calculus, Taylor's theorem, and infinite series, power series, and elementary functions? Pros/Cons of both? The course requires Apostol's but I would consider working through Spivak too if his treatment of this topics is better than Apostol's. Any link to a relevant thread is appreciated. Another two questions: Is Apostol's Vol. 2 at the same level of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds? Is Apostol's coverage of Linear Algebra a sound basis for Lang's Linear Algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
spivak is more fun than apostol, but apostol may be a tiny bit more scholarly. I.e. I liked spivak as a student, but later I liked apostol. if you are a student, i recommend spivak.

As for the multivariable books, Spivak is much more condensed and is at a higher level than Apostol. Namely, Spivak does vector calculus with differential forms, while Apostol does not.

I liked Apostol volume 1 a lot, and probably more than Spivak. If you have no experience with proofs though, you might like Spivak more. I really didn't like Apostol volume 2 however. He treats too many subjects in too short of a span, and you are probably better off learning linear algebra thoroughly with Lang then with Axler (or some similar progression).

As for vector calc, Spivak (Calculus on Manifolds) is pretty sophisticated, and you should probably do some more linear algebra (more than what's in apostol, that's for sure) and some real analysis before you tackle it. It is at a much higher level than Apostol Volume 2.

Summary: Both Apostol and Spivak are great for calculus (as mathwonk said they differ in tone), but in my opinion, Apostol volume 2 is not that great at anything.

A multivariable calculus book that I like that is at a higher level than your run-off-the-mill calculus books is the one by Williamson, Crowell, and Trotter. I believe it's called Calculus of Vector Functions. Get the 3rd edition [ or older ], and not the 4th [ which I believe is renamed as Multivariable Mathematics ]. There are used ones for literally less than 5 bucks on Amazon.

Spivak > Apostol

I never liked Apostols book that much

1. What is a first proof-oriented calculus course?

A first proof-oriented calculus course is an introductory course that focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques of calculus, with an emphasis on understanding and constructing mathematical proofs. It is typically taken by students majoring in mathematics, physics, engineering, or other related fields.

2. What topics are covered in a first proof-oriented calculus course?

Topics covered in a first proof-oriented calculus course may include limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences, series, and the fundamentals of mathematical proofs. The specific topics may vary depending on the curriculum of the course and the instructor.

3. Why is it important to learn calculus through a proof-oriented approach?

Learning calculus through a proof-oriented approach helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts of calculus, which is necessary for advanced studies in mathematics and other related fields.

4. Is a first proof-oriented calculus course more challenging than a traditional calculus course?

Yes, a first proof-oriented calculus course can be more challenging than a traditional calculus course. It requires a higher level of mathematical maturity and may involve more abstract thinking and problem-solving. However, it can also be more rewarding and beneficial in the long run.

5. What resources are available for students taking a first proof-oriented calculus course?

There are various resources available for students taking a first proof-oriented calculus course, such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and tutoring services. It is also beneficial to form study groups with classmates and seek help from the instructor if needed.