Covariance of the Wave Equation in Modern Physics: A Proof

In summary, the question is whether the wave equation is covariant with respect to Gallilean transformations. The method to show this is by applying the transformation to the wave function and the wave equation, and then checking if the transformed wave equation is satisfied. The key steps of a solution provided by one person are attached, but the other person cannot understand the formulas. The goal is to determine if the transformed wave equation is satisfied, which will determine if the wave equation is covariant or not.
mike217
Question: Show that the wave equation is in not covariant with respect to Gallilean transformations, given the function y=Asin(2pi(x/lambda - ft))

My main question is inorder to show the covariance of a law, should I apply the law on the primed variables and show that it is satisfied by applying a transformation, or should I make the substitution, apply the law, and then show it is satisfied.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem.Reminds me of the days when "Lorentz covariance" was unknown to me.
Do you know the form of a Galilei transformation??If so,write y(x,t) in the 'primed' system.

Daniel.

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

I have worked on this problem, but the result that I am getting is that the wave equation under the Gallilean transformation is satisfied. Please view key steps of my solution in the attachement.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 497
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 3.GIF
    3.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 475
I'm sorry,but i couldn't understand your formulas.
To show that the wave function (and hence the wave equation) is not invariant under the Group of Galilean transformations (is not Galilei covariant) means to see whether the transformed wavefunction:

WVFCT--------->GT (WVFCT)'

satisfies or not the transformed wave equation:

WVEQ--------->GT (WVEQ)'

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the laws and principles developed by scientists like Isaac Newton in the 17th and 18th centuries to explain the behavior of macroscopic objects. Modern physics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of microscopic objects and phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. How does modern physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Modern physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It has also allowed us to make predictions and advancements in areas such as technology, medicine, and energy production.

3. What are some major theories in modern physics?

Some major theories in modern physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, the standard model of particle physics, and string theory. These theories aim to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales and have been extensively tested and validated through experiments and observations.

4. What are some real-world applications of modern physics?

Modern physics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and nuclear power. It also plays a crucial role in medical imaging and treatments, such as MRI and radiation therapy, and has contributed to advancements in telecommunications, electronics, and materials science.

5. What are some current challenges in modern physics?

Some current challenges in modern physics include understanding and reconciling the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics, finding a unified theory of all fundamental forces, and unraveling the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy. There is also ongoing research into the behavior of matter at extreme conditions, such as in black holes and the early universe.