Having a test in classical physics after 2 two months

In summary: And the thing is, I don't think that you should try and learn all the physics in one go. I would break it up into smaller chunks, and focus on one or two topics at a time. You might find that this helps you retain the information better.
agphys
So ye the test begins in 2 months, and i will need to memorize all the phyisc book, its like 300 pages of good ol' physics, conitaining everything everything from electromagnetic induction, alternating current, lasers, wave osscilaitons, sound, em waves etc etc.

i would like to ask about your opinion, how should i start well in matter of fact i know a little alhamdullilah, but how can i memorize all the book, containing problems etc etc.

the thing with the problem is like i don't know how to use the rules, like you need to use like 5 rules for 1 question lol, isn't there any site for formulas, for physics (A) i think.??

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you try to memorize the book I fear you won't do well. Memorization does little in the way of learning to solve problems.

how should i study then? i want to like it but yet i do not want to read. i want to learn but i can't i guess, the problems are way to hard.

the thing is i did not read "pre calculus" physics, i did not read physics in two years then at the last year i jumped to physics A.

Physics is actually quite simple. The entirety of physics is composed of two parts:
1. Setting up the problem mathematically
2. Solving what you set up

As you can imagine, part 1 is the most important. However, part 2 can also be revealing, because sometimes, you can use the answer you get in part 2 to solve a more difficult problem. An example of this is using the solution found for the electric field from a circular ring to obtain the electric field from a circular disk, since a circular disk is just a superposition of circular rings.

To set up the problem, one only needs to consider:
1. Rules pertaining to the particular situation
2. Conservation laws

For classical physics, number 1 includes:
1. F=ma (obviously), p=mv, E=p2/(2m)
2. the analogs for torque
3. E = 1/(4πε₀) q/r2, the analogs for magnetic fields B
4. Laws derived from the above

The conservation laws are of mass, charge, energy, and momentum. Considering that you are being tested on "all of classical physics", I would spend most of my time learning how to set up problems. Solving them is just algebra and calculus, which you should already have under your belt. You should solve around 4-5 problems for each problem you set up just to see that it works. Don't bother plugging in numbers for any of your variables, since you can just do that at the end. During the last week, actually plug in numbers to your solutions to see what kind of numbers you get.

agphys said:
i want to like it but yet i do not want to read. i want to learn but i can't i guess, the problems are way to hard.

the thing is i did not read "pre calculus" physics, i did not read physics in two years then at the last year i jumped to physics A.

It sounds like you have a work ethic problem. It takes more than wanting to learn to learn...

well i understand the problem when I am going trough them, but after some days i forget them lol.

1. How should I prepare for a test in classical physics?

To prepare for a test in classical physics, it is important to review all of your class notes, textbook readings, and any assigned homework problems. It may also be helpful to work through practice problems and attend any review sessions offered by your instructor. Additionally, creating a study schedule and breaking up the material into smaller, manageable chunks can be an effective way to prepare.

2. What topics should I focus on for the test?

The test in classical physics will likely cover a variety of topics, so it is important to review all of the material that has been covered in class. However, some key topics that are commonly included on these types of tests include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, kinematics, and basic principles of thermodynamics. Be sure to check with your instructor for a more specific list of topics to focus on.

3. Will the test include calculations or will it be more conceptual?

This will depend on your instructor's teaching style and the specific test being given. It is best to prepare for both types of questions, as you will likely encounter a mix of conceptual and calculation-based problems on the test. Be sure to review how to solve problems using equations and also take time to understand the underlying concepts and principles.

4. How can I improve my understanding of classical physics before the test?

In addition to reviewing your class materials, there are several ways you can improve your understanding of classical physics before the test. One option is to work through additional practice problems or seek out online resources and videos to supplement your learning. You could also form study groups with classmates to discuss the material and test each other on key concepts.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a specific concept?

If you are struggling to understand a particular concept in classical physics, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. This could mean attending office hours with your instructor, meeting with a tutor, or asking a classmate for assistance. It is also helpful to try different approaches to understanding the concept, such as watching videos or working through practice problems from a different resource.