Ideal torque vs engine speed curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal torque/engine speed graph and how it can differ depending on the use of the vehicle. The speaker also mentions the importance of looking at specific fuel consumption curves and power curves to determine the appropriate transmission. They also suggest a website with helpful graphics for understanding the effects of torque and gear ratios on acceleration.
nu_hash
Just a simple question of what the ideal torque/engine speed graph would like?

Also, could anyone direct me to a good website or book that would help me understand the following things better:
tyre slip/traction control
gear ratios and how they affect acceleration

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is easy enough to Google them. All engine manufacturers publish technical data on their engines, including a number of curves. I’m normally most interested in the specific fuel consumption curves. That tells me at what rpm I want to run the engine for various loads. Normally, the emissions curves will also be optimized at approximately the same place. I look at the power curves and compare them with the fuel consumption curves. That tells me what sort of transmission I need. The torque curves don’t provide me much that I don’t get from the other curves, and are less useful.

There is no 'ideal curve' only ones optimised for different uses. One with lots of low down torque that drops off quickly would be ideal for a truck, but not a race car, and visa versa.

Here is a great link for explaining the effects of torque and gear ratios on acceleration with lots of great graphics. http://robotpig.net/__automotive/power-torque-thrust.php?page=1

1. What is an ideal torque vs engine speed curve?

An ideal torque vs engine speed curve is a graphical representation of the maximum amount of torque that an engine can produce at different speeds. It is typically a bell-shaped curve, with the peak torque occurring at a specific engine speed known as the "torque peak".

2. Why is the ideal torque vs engine speed curve important?

The ideal torque vs engine speed curve is important because it shows the engine's performance capabilities. It allows engineers to design engines with optimal torque output for specific applications, such as high-speed or heavy-duty tasks.

3. How is the ideal torque vs engine speed curve measured?

The ideal torque vs engine speed curve is measured by attaching a dynamometer to the engine and running it at various speeds while recording the torque output. The data is then plotted on a graph to create the curve.

4. What factors can affect the ideal torque vs engine speed curve?

Several factors can affect the ideal torque vs engine speed curve, including engine design, fuel type, air intake, and exhaust systems. Engine modifications, such as turbochargers or superchargers, can also alter the curve.

5. How can the ideal torque vs engine speed curve be used in vehicle performance?

The ideal torque vs engine speed curve is often used to determine the ideal gear ratio for a vehicle's transmission. By matching the engine's torque output with the appropriate gear, the vehicle can achieve maximum acceleration and power.