Discovered something: what to do, whom to tell?

• Thread starter tris_d
  • Start date
In summary, the expert believes that he has found a new discovery, but is hesitant to share it due to the skepticism of others in the field. He would like to discuss the discovery further with others, but is unsure if it is appropriate to do so in this forum.
tris_d
So I believe to have made some discovery, what now? I guess people will say to write a paper, but I don't have any credentials, will they take me seriously? And considering that, what would be some of the best places where to send it for a review?

I would also like to confirm my findings more rigorously first, and since I never published any papers I'd need some help on how to go about it. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the discovery in? Physics? Math? Disney world?

Feel free what to mention what your discovery covers. Say, if it is some calculus discovery on derivatives, or some number theory prime number thingy without explicitly revealing anything you're not comfortable doing so.

Klungo said:
What exactly is the discovery in? Physics? Math? Disney world?

Feel free what to mention what your discovery covers. Say, if it is some calculus discovery on derivatives, or some number theory prime number thingy without explicitly revealing anything you're not comfortable doing so.

It's about Olbers' paradox: "why is the night sky dark?". I spoke before with some people working in Astronomy/Cosmology field and they are not receptive to consider it as they seem to think it would contradict mainstream theory.

I posted about it in Astronomy forum, but for the above reason I was very brief as I am afraid people would think I am arguing against mainstream. I'd be happy to tell you all about it, and I don't care if I am right or wrong, I just want to know for certain.

Unfortunately, unless you can find some who is willing to look at what you did, this cannot be discussed in this forum, per the PF rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, unless you can find some who is willing to look at what you did, this cannot be discussed in this forum, per the PF rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.

Yes, I understand that. The thing is I don't have any new theory nor I make any assumptions to arrive at my conclusion, and I do not think it actually contradicts anything. I think inverse square law explains the paradox if we only include sensor surface area in the treatment and model light as photons. That's all. Just another, more complete, way to look at it.

Does that sound like something we could discuss here?

tris_d said:
Yes, I understand that. The thing is I don't have any new theory nor I make any assumptions to arrive at my conclusion, and I do not think it actually contradicts anything. I think inverse square law explains the paradox if we only include sensor surface area in the treatment and model light as photons. That's all. Just another, more complete, way to look at it.

Does that sound like something we could discuss here?

No.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No.
That's as good a place as any to close this thread.

Thread closed.

And you already have one thread open on this.

And it's not career guidance.

1. What should I do after discovering something?

After you have discovered something, the first step is to carefully document your findings and observations. This includes writing down the date, location, and any relevant details about your discovery. It is also important to take photographs or videos to provide visual evidence of your discovery.

2. Who should I tell about my discovery?

The people you should inform about your discovery will depend on the nature of your findings. If your discovery is related to your specific field of study, it is important to share it with your colleagues and peers. If your discovery has potential implications for the general public, it is important to inform the relevant authorities or media outlets.

3. Should I publish my discovery?

Publishing your discovery is a crucial step in the scientific process. It allows other scientists to review and replicate your findings, which helps to validate your discovery. Additionally, publishing your discovery can also lead to further research opportunities and collaborations.

4. How can I protect my discovery?

Intellectual property laws can help protect your discovery from being used without your permission. It is important to consult with a lawyer or your institution's legal team to determine the best way to protect your discovery. This may include applying for patents or copyright protection.

5. Can I share my discovery with the public?

Sharing your discovery with the public can help raise awareness and generate interest in your research. However, it is important to consider any potential ethical implications and ensure that you are accurately presenting your findings to avoid misleading the public. It may also be beneficial to work with science communicators or media outlets to effectively share your discovery with the public.