Is it possible I have dyslexia?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, this person has a mild form of dyslexia that manifests itself as interchanging words, and they experience it when they're telling someone about something that happened.
Pythagorean said:
note: not a health issue

I've taken several online quizzes/tests and I always get moderate or borderline results. Reasons I believe I might have dyslexia:

1) I'm left-handed
2) I can't tell where sounds come from. In some occasion, I think they're coming from exactly the opposite direction.
3) it's sometimes really frustrating and takes a lot of concentration to read blocks of text.
4) I mix up extremes (example: I never remember whether high-viscocity is more sticky or more fluid).

It's not stopped me from succeeding in academia, employment, or elsewise, so it's not detrimental to my health, just a curiosity. Things like 3) and 4) above can sometimes make parts of academia painful, but I assume everybody struggles in some domain or another in that regard.

I don't see these as dyslexia symptoms. 2) you should get checked by a professional. 3) and 4) I do experience, but would put down to just tiredness or possibly aging. I say aging because over the years some of the issues discussed in this thread I experience more and more. Having to write down words to visually check the spelling, having a long think about whether I need to use separate or separate, and so on.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm getting old? :(

You possesses the secret of eternal youth and you're holding out on us!

cobalt124 said:
I don't see these as dyslexia symptoms. 2) you should get checked by a professional. 3) and 4) I do experience, but would put down to just tiredness or possibly aging. I say aging because over the years some of the issues discussed in this thread I experience more and more. Having to write down words to visually check the spelling, having a long think about whether I need to use separate or separate, and so on.
The older I get, the more I spell phonetically.

Getting old isn't the fun time that AARP commercials lead you to believe.