Electromagnetic levitation Relations

In summary, the conversation is about a kit for a senior project on electromagnetic levitation. The kit uses an electromagnet, two hall effect sensors, and a voltage regulator to suspend a magnet and create stable motion. The individual is seeking advice on how to study and measure aspects of the kit, such as the strength of the magnetic field and the gap of levitation. They also discuss using an ammeter to measure the current and ask for equations to use. The kit can be found at zeltom.com, which also includes circuit and theory information.
wubbzee
Hello everyone i bought a kit for my senior project on electromagnetic levitation. It uses an electromagnet to suspend a magnet via force of attraction. It is stable because of two hall effect sensors and voltage regulator. The kit can make the magnet move in a sinusoidal and tangential motion

If i want to study this and get a relation linearly what can i do? Whats something i can do with this kit to take measurements and process data?

I've thought maybe if i change the weight of the object suspended the gap between the electromagnet and the object itself would change? But maybe that's not true because the hall effect sensor would keep it in equilibrium?

Anyways this is NOT an ad but i bought the kit from here if you need more information zeltom.com

and i can basically study an aspect of this the strength of the magnetic felid, the gap of levitation, the current supply change... anything i just need your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could measure the current used by the circuit as you use different weighted magnets or change other conditions with the pushbutton controls.

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps you could measure the current used by the circuit as you use different weighted magnets or change other conditions with the pushbutton controls.

yeah i think hooking up an ammeter is my best bet thanks for that! Would you have any idea what equations i would use?
I have general magnetic field strength and electromagnet equations... if you have anything else that'd also be appreciated.

Can you give a link to the kit?

DynastyV said:
Can you give a link to the kit?
http://www.zeltom.com/products/magneticlevitation

theres a components and downloads page (which includes circuit and theory information)

What is electromagnetic levitation?

Electromagnetic levitation is a method of suspending an object using magnetic fields. It works by using the force of repulsion between two magnets to counteract the force of gravity on an object.

What are the applications of electromagnetic levitation?

Electromagnetic levitation has various applications, including in transportation systems such as maglev trains, in medical procedures for levitating and manipulating small objects, and in materials processing and testing.

How does electromagnetic levitation work?

Electromagnetic levitation works by using an electromagnet or a series of magnets to generate a magnetic field that can interact with the magnetic field of an object. By manipulating the strength and direction of the magnetic fields, the object can be suspended in mid-air.

What are the advantages of using electromagnetic levitation?

One advantage of electromagnetic levitation is that it allows for precise control and manipulation of objects without physical contact. It also reduces friction and allows for objects to be moved in any direction, making it useful for various applications.

What are the challenges of implementing electromagnetic levitation?

Some challenges of implementing electromagnetic levitation include the need for a stable and strong power source, the cost of materials and equipment, and the difficulty of controlling and stabilizing the magnetic fields to achieve precise levitation.