Constant term in the adiabatic equation

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of adiabatic processes and specifically, the reversible adiabatic equation PV^(gamma)=constant. The person is seeking clarification on what the constant term in the equation represents and what parameters it depends on. It is established that the constant term is dependent on the initial pressure and volume, but the questioner is still unsure why it should depend on anything. The other person explains that a constant term does not necessarily mean it does not depend on any other parameter, using the example of the ebullioscopic constant. The concept of adiabatic processes is also mentioned, where the constant term indicates that there would be no change in Pv^gamma during an adiabatic change
mechgen
Hi there! I am working on a project that requires some idea of adiabatic processes. I know the basics of the said topic and I'm currently stuck with the reversible adiabatic equation PV^(gamma)=constant.. and want to know what is the constant term i.e. on what parameters it depends and what is its mathematical equation? Kindly help me if you can...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a constant,right.Then why should it depend on anything.

[tex]PV^{\gamma}=P_1V_1^{\gamma}[/tex]

where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume.

It is a constant,right.Then why should it depend on anything.

well as far as I know...a constant term doesn't mean that it doesn't depend on any other parameter. Take the ebullioscopic constant for instance..that depends on certain values of specific heat and and the temperature etc... I hope you get my point!

well,for adiabatic process it means that if system is going under adiabatic change then that Pv^gamma would not change.

1. What is a constant term in the adiabatic equation?

The constant term in the adiabatic equation is a numerical value that remains the same throughout the equation and does not vary with any of the other variables.

2. How is the constant term determined in the adiabatic equation?

The constant term is typically determined by experimental data or theoretical calculations based on the specific system being studied.

3. How does the constant term affect the adiabatic equation?

The constant term can affect the overall behavior and solutions of the adiabatic equation, as it is a key component in determining the changes in energy and temperature of the system.

4. Can the constant term be negative in the adiabatic equation?

Yes, the constant term can be negative in the adiabatic equation, depending on the specific system and the values of the other variables.

5. Is the constant term the same in all adiabatic equations?

No, the constant term can vary in different adiabatic equations, as it is dependent on the specific system and the variables involved.