(D'arsonval galvanometer) moving coil meter

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of moving coil meters and the components involved, including a square looped coil, a uniform magnetic field, and a system/spring that creates opposing torque. It also explores the non-linear relationship between current and angle in this system. The conversation then moves on to a d'Arsonval galvanometer and the effect of an "iron core" on the magnetic field, as well as the role of the coil's surface area vector in relation to the magnetic field. The page reference and a brief explanation of how the meter is calibrated are also mentioned.
Siune
Hello, just been reading a little bit about the basics of moving coil meter and one thing is bugging me.

First if we have a basic square looped coil in and uniform magnetic field. There is torque ( m x B ) due to the magnetic field and then there is the system/spring attached to the coil which gives the opposing torque ( cθ ).

So in the end we get that the current in the coil is:

[itex] I = \frac{c}{BA} \frac{\phi}{cos(\phi)}[/itex]

Cleary the I is very non-linear as function of phi as the surface of the coil makes angle with the magnetic field ( Which is uniform ).

Now we have d'Arsonval galvanometer, like in the picture:

180px-Galvanometer_diagram.png

Now the magnetic field is clearly not uniform as the "iron core" sucks in the magnetic field. The field between the poles and the iron core becomes radial. Now it says that the surface area vector of the plane of the loop (n or m if we talk about dipole ) is always perpendicular to the magnetic field. I can't really figure it out as the magnetic field inside is uniform ( horizontal ) inside the soft iron core.

I can understand that the coil is wounded around the iron core so we should compare the field to the outside field ( radial ) but as we compare the angle with the normal vector of the surface of the loop and the magnetic field so. :l

The page is 424, in Understanding Physics, Mansfield & O'Sullivan (Second edition).
http://books.google.fi/books?id=19TCz0cxAFMC&printsec=frontcover&hl=fi#v=onepage&q&f=false

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the current in the red coil generating a magnetic dipole ##\mu##. The magnitude of this dipole is proportional to the current ##I##. The external field due to the poles of the permanent magnet exerts a magnetic torque against the mechanical torque of the torsional spring that is attached to the needle. When the two opposing torques have equal magnitudes (##\tau_M=\tau_{spring}##, the needle is in equilibrium. Now ##\tau_M=\mu B\sin\theta## where ##\theta## is the angle between the dipole and the magnetic field. By setting the torques equal, you see that a given angle of equilibrium corresponds to a given current. The scale is calibrated by sending known currents in the meter.

1. What is a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter?

A D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter is a type of instrument used to measure current in an electrical circuit. It is based on the principle of a moving coil suspended in a magnetic field, and is commonly used in laboratory settings.

2. How does a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter work?

The D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter works by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field. The interaction between the magnetic field and the current causes the coil to move, and this movement is then measured and displayed on a scale.

3. What is the difference between a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter and a traditional meter?

The main difference between a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter and a traditional meter is that the former uses a moving coil suspended in a magnetic field, while the latter typically uses a moving needle or pointer. Additionally, D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meters are more sensitive and accurate compared to traditional meters.

4. What are the advantages of using a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter?

Some advantages of using a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter include its high sensitivity and accuracy, as well as its ability to measure both AC and DC currents. It is also relatively inexpensive and can be used for a variety of electrical measurements.

5. How do I use a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter?

To use a D'arsonval galvanometer moving coil meter, you will need to connect it in series with the circuit you want to measure. Make sure to select the appropriate range on the meter and zero it out before taking a measurement. The needle on the meter will deflect, indicating the current in the circuit. Remember to disconnect the meter after use to avoid damaging it.