Maximum power transfer and kirchoffs

In summary: You'll have to decide how you want to go about finding the Thevenin equivalent for the network. You may be able to salvage some of the work you've done. For example, your value of I2 will let you find the open circuit voltage at the network terminals.OK I am going to salvage the first part which for I2 I got 0.293a I believe the second bit is nonsense so how do I calculate the voltage output (Vo=V_EF) without load (Rl=∞)?
Andrew187 said:
I2 = 0.81a?

Yes. Carry on,... what's the Thevenin resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
Yes. Carry on,... what's the Thevenin resistance?

7.032v/0.81a=8.68 ohm ?

Andrew187 said:
7.032v/0.81a=8.68 ohm ?

Yes. Carry on... draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the load RL attached. What value of RL maximizes the power transfer (Max Power theorem).

gneill said:
Yes. Carry on... draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the load RL attached. What value of RL maximizes the power transfer (Max Power theorem).

That bits not the problem I don't know how I worked out the value for I1 and how I got Isc to 0.81a

Andrew187 said:
That bits not the problem I don't know how I worked out the value for I1 and how I got Isc to 0.81a

:confused:
You wrote the equations for the circuit with the output shorted and solved for the current I2, which is identical to Isc... If there's some part that you didn't understand, stop and ask before moving on.

gneill said:
yes, and so,...

Isc=
(9+25)*i1 - 25*i2 = 15
-25*i1 + (25+7)*i2 = 0

This Is the bit I didn't understand i took this out of my notes I know here that the value of I2=0.293a, but I didn't quite understand how I worked out I1.

Andrew187 said:
Isc=
(9+25)*i1 - 25*i2 = 15
-25*i1 + (25+7)*i2 = 0

This Is the bit I didn't understand i took this out of my notes I know here that the value of I2=0.293a, but I didn't quite understand how I worked out I1.

Can you be more specific about what you don't understand? You have written two equations in two unknowns, which can be solved using whatever technique you're familiar with. What part is stumping you?

1. Writing the equations from the circuit.
2. Solving two equations for two unknowns.

gneill said:
Can you be more specific about what you don't understand? You have written two equations in two unknowns, which can be solved using whatever technique you're familiar with. What part is stumping you?

1. Writing the equations from the circuit.
2. Solving two equations for two unknowns.

Writing it shouldn't be a problem but solving the two equations from the two unknowns is a problem I know the answer but don't know how I solved it.

Andrew187 said:
Writing it shouldn't be a problem but solving the two equations from the two unknowns is a problem I know the answer but don't know how I solved it.

Then it sounds like you need to review your algebra and simultaneous equation solving. This is a fundamental skill that you must have in order to solve problems in any technical discipline. A web search on "solving simultaneous equations" will turn up some on-line tutorials.

gneill said:
Then it sounds like you need to review your algebra and simultaneous equation solving. This is a fundamental skill that you must have in order to solve problems in any technical discipline. A web search on "solving simultaneous equations" will turn up some on-line tutorials.

Sorry what I was meant to say was solving the equation isn't really the problem because I can sit till the cow's come home calculating the unknowns I eventually get there but the bit I struggle with is writing the equations and drawing the correct diagram, because when I try to look at notes and books its always done differrent to the way in which I want to achieve. So This is where I am at, I have found the value of RL I also know the unknowns but I 'm not sure what format and what diagrams to use bearing in mind I have used kirchhoffs and thevenins equivalent I think.

Attachments

• Max power.pdf
    431 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Andrew187 said:
Sorry what I was meant to say was solving the equation isn't really the problem because I can sit till the cow's come home calculating the unknowns I eventually get there but the bit I struggle with is writing the equations and drawing the correct diagram, because when I try to look at notes and books its always done differrent to the way in which I want to achieve. So This is where I am at, I have found the value of RL I also know the unknowns but I 'm not sure what format and what diagrams to use bearing in mind I have used kirchhoffs and thevenins equivalent I think.

If I may be frank with you, Andrew187, I get the impression from the way this thread has progressed that you don't really have an adequate grasp on any of the techniques or concepts required to solve the problem, or even a solid understanding of the problem itself (what steps are required to determine which result). You should probably look for some tutorials to firm up your fundamentals.

Thevenine req

i have tried to short both bateries for finding rth but i can't understand how to solve to find rth... can someone please help me finding rth..

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 4152013 42310 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 4152013 42310 AM.bmp.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 380
hussain bani said:
i have tried to short both bateries for finding rth but i can't understand how to solve to find rth... can someone please help me finding rth..

You should have started a new thread with your question. By asking a new question at the end of an already existing thread, you have "hijacked" someone else's thread.

Hopefully, a moderator will split this off to a new thread.