Is it ok to commit fraud if it's widespread?

• Thread starter Abstr7ct
  • Start date
In summary: No, there's nothing morally wrong with this. If the person is getting paid for doing nothing, then they're getting a free ride.
Abstr7ct
If an employer offers you a deal to give you $400/month without needing you to do work for his/her institution, so you're getting money for doing nothing for him/her, would you accept that offer? do you think that there's anything morally wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abstr7ct said:
If an employer offers you a deal to give you $400/month without needing you to do work for his/her institution, so you're getting money for doing nothing for him/her, would you accept that offer? do you think that there's anything morally wrong with this?
Sure, if you want to be part of a fraud investigation someday. :rolleyes:

Borg said:
Sure, if you want to be part of a fraud investigation someday. :rolleyes:

Where I live, there's no fraud investigation for this kind of thing. The law is permissive and far less strict than US. I don't exaggerate if I told you that you can find an owner of a small business having his son's name registered as a worker in the institution to avoid employing real workers. The only thing he should pay is the social security of his son. Although the system knows that this kind of thing exists, they can't really control it because it has gone beyond the controllable area, let alone the fact that the system itself form the top of the government, the president, down to the lowest position is based and working on this idea; nepotism. I think that now you can deduce which government/country is this.

It's not like that I'm happy with the situation, but I should have asked my question within this context. So let me add to the question:

If an employer offers you a deal to give you $400/month without needing you to do work for his/her institution, so you're getting money for doing nothing for him/her, would you accept that offer? do you think that there's anything morally wrong with this? keep in mind that you're a person living under a system that's describe as above. How would you act?

If it's illegal then no, you should not do it, it doesn't matter if corruption is widespread. If something goes wrong, you, being at the bottom are more likely to be the one they go after.

Last edited:

As a scientist, my response to this content is that committing fraud is never acceptable, regardless of whether it is widespread or not. Fraud goes against ethical and moral principles and can have serious consequences for both the individual committing it and society as a whole.

In the scenario described, accepting the employer's offer to receive money without doing any work would be considered fraud. This action not only goes against the terms of the employment agreement but also undermines the integrity of the institution and the trust of its stakeholders.

Furthermore, accepting the offer would also be morally wrong. It would be taking advantage of the employer's trust and exploiting a loophole in the system for personal gain. This type of behavior can have a negative impact on the individual's character and reputation.

In addition, participating in fraudulent activities can have legal implications, leading to potential legal consequences and damage to one's professional reputation.

In conclusion, committing fraud, even if it is widespread, is never justified. As scientists, it is our responsibility to uphold ethical standards and promote integrity in all aspects of our work. Accepting the employer's offer would go against these principles and should be avoided.

1. Is committing fraud ever justified if it's a common practice?

No, committing fraud is never justified regardless of how widespread it may be. Fraud is illegal and unethical, and participating in it only perpetuates the problem and harms others.

2. What if everyone else is doing it?

Just because others are engaging in fraudulent behavior does not make it acceptable or excusable. Each individual is responsible for their own actions and should not use the actions of others as an excuse for their own wrongdoing.

3. Can I get in trouble for committing fraud if everyone else is doing it?

Yes, you can still face legal consequences for committing fraud even if it is a widespread practice. Ignorance of the law or following the actions of others does not exempt you from accountability.

4. Is there ever a situation where committing fraud can be beneficial?

No, there are no circumstances where committing fraud can be considered beneficial. The short-term gains from fraud are outweighed by the potential long-term consequences, both personally and for society as a whole.

5. What are some examples of widespread fraud and its impact?

Examples of widespread fraud include Ponzi schemes, tax evasion, and falsifying financial statements. The impact of fraud can range from financial losses for individuals and companies to damaging the overall economy and eroding trust in institutions.