What Should I Study: Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Cybersecurity?

• Thread starter smr924
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary, smr924 is considering majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Physics. He is considering options A and B, which are both through the same state school, but he is considering option C, through a technical university, because of the opportunities it offers. He is a Cavalry Scout in the Army, which is a type of Reconnaissance, so he is interested in getting more IT certifications to market his skills.
smr924
Hey all,

First off, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and help me out, so thank you in advance.

After high school I did 1 year of college at a highly regarded business school in my area. I started with International Business and switched to Information Technology. Being confused on what I wanted to do with the rest of my life at 18 years old, I left school to enlist in the U.S. Army. That was 3 years ago, and now presently I am looking at going back to school as a more focused and motivated individual.

(P.S. I am a Cavalry Scout in the Army, which is pretty much Reconnaissance of the enemy etc...so not really much marketable skills there, except the generic values the Military has instilled in me)

I've always been fascinated with physics, I loved it in high school. I took Physics 1 & Honors Physics 2 and got an A in both. However, my math is a little weak (which is weird seeing as how I understand the math of physics but normal mathematics can jam me up sometimes). But, on to my real question:

I am currently at a crossroads. I cannot decide if I should:
A) Double major with a BS in Electrical Engineering & a BA in Physics
B) Major in Computer Science w/ a minor in Physics? Digital Security? Cybersecurity?
C) Major in Cybersecurity (More specific to the IT Security industry than just a CS degree)

A & B are both through the same state school, however, C is through a technical university that is pretty established where I am from.

Whatever path I choose, be it EE and Physics, I plan on obtaining a plethora of IT certifications in order to better market my skills, but I just don't know which one will be best for me (or just a better decision in general). I do not plan to attend grad school for physics, I just really enjoy the material and feel it will better my all around interests and education.

Note: 4 years will be completely free due to my Military service. Option A is 4.5 years so the only student loans I will have is from my 1 year of college prior to the Army and a half semester.

So PF how can I make the best of a free 4 years of education?

Thank you,
smr924

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I am an avid liker of Physics myself, with what you want, I think you'd appreciate option B) more, along with getting a bunch of other IT certifications, maybe. If you want to expand your physics learning after or during the minor, there're a lot of free online resources. I'd also suggest looking into Cybersecurity while or after your education; your past experience in the military, with what you've done (I don't know the specifics) may be somewhat similar, at least in intent.
If you PM me, I have a really good PDF relating to Cybersecurity. :) It's a relatively long read and for learning purposes.

Does your school have a combined Electrical engineering and computer science program? If so, then I suggest double major in both EECS and Physics. Why BA instead of a BsC in physics?

ModestyKing said:
Although I am an avid liker of Physics myself, with what you want, I think you'd appreciate option B) more, along with getting a bunch of other IT certifications, maybe. If you want to expand your physics learning after or during the minor, there're a lot of free online resources. I'd also suggest looking into Cybersecurity while or after your education; your past experience in the military, with what you've done (I don't know the specifics) may be somewhat similar, at least in intent.
If you PM me, I have a really good PDF relating to Cybersecurity. :) It's a relatively long read and for learning purposes.

That's the route I was thinking, they have a Computer Science degree with a minor in cybersecurity, as well as a research department dedicated to cybersecurity that I would like to try and get into. I know people say follow what you love and it will lead you in the right direction, but with a family salary is a huge factor. I can always take night school physics classes or just take a minor to satisfy my curiousity. Also, my job in the Military has nothing to do with computers lol...

Shivam3013 said:
Does your school have a combined Electrical engineering and computer science program? If so, then I suggest double major in both EECS and Physics. Why BA instead of a BsC in physics?

No there is no combination of EE and CS, however, I'm sure I could do it anyway.

The 4.5 year program I was looking at for EE and physics is a Bsc in EE and a BA in Physics, other than that not much more I can answer about why a BA. Just the way the school has it.

1. What are my options for conducting this experiment?

Your options for conducting this experiment will depend on the specific topic and purpose of your experiment. Some common options include performing the experiment in a laboratory setting, conducting field research, or using computer simulations.

2. How do I determine the best option for my experiment?

The best option for your experiment will depend on various factors, such as the resources available to you, the type of data you need, and the level of control you require. Consider these factors and choose the option that aligns with your research goals and limitations.

3. Can I combine different options for my experiment?

Yes, it is possible to combine different options for your experiment. For example, you may conduct field research to collect data and then use computer simulations to analyze and interpret the data. However, make sure to carefully plan and execute each step to ensure the validity of your results.

4. How do I ensure the validity and reliability of my experiment?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your experiment, it is important to carefully design and plan your experiment, use appropriate methods and techniques, and minimize potential sources of bias. It is also crucial to replicate your experiment and compare results to ensure consistency.

5. What do I do if my initial options are not feasible?

If your initial options are not feasible, it is important to reassess your research goals and limitations and consider alternative options. You may also seek advice from other scientists or experts in your field to brainstorm potential solutions or approaches.