Rotation of CO2 bonds and triple bonds.

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of triple bonds to rotate freely and the concept of cylindrical symmetry in these bonds. It also mentions the possibility of rotation in other types of bonds, such as double bonds, and the use of evidence and measurements to determine rotational capabilities.
khanhhung2512
I read in several websites that triple bonds cannot rotate freely.
However, I've also read in the book "Chemical Principles" the following lines: "Various types of evidence suggest that the electron density around the two C-O bonds in CO2 is actually cylindrically symmetric—that is, the electron density is homogeneous all around the O-C-O molecular axis."
That intrigues me. Now I don't see any problems preventing the two C-O bonds to rotate like single bonds.
Additionally, since the way CO2 bonds is quite similar to triple bond, will triple bond be cylindrically symmetric too? Can triple bond rotate like single bond?
Btw, how can people know whether linear configurations like triple bond or CO2 can rotate around the bond?
Thanks very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
khanhhung2512 said:
I read in several websites that triple bonds cannot rotate freely.

That's kind of nonsense, as, at least with linear molecules like N2 or HCCH there is no way to decide whether it has rotated or not.
There are many metal compounds with triple bonds which aren't linear molecules, e.g. dimolybdenum compounds, see:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Multiple_Bonds_Between_Metal_Atoms.html?id=rYqKC74r_rIC
In these compounds, rotation around the axis should be observable and isomerisation energies be measurable.

Likes 1 person
DrDu said:
That's kind of nonsense, as, at least with linear molecules like N2 or HCCH there is no way to decide whether it has rotated or not.
There are many metal compounds with triple bonds which aren't linear molecules, e.g. dimolybdenum compounds, see:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Multiple_Bonds_Between_Metal_Atoms.html?id=rYqKC74r_rIC
In these compounds, rotation around the axis should be observable and isomerisation energies be measurable.
Thanks.

khanhhung2512 said:
Additionally, since the way CO2 bonds is quite similar to triple bond, will triple bond be cylindrically symmetric too?
There's still one part in my questions. Is triple bond cylindrically symmetric?

khanhhung2512 said:
There's still one part in my questions. Is triple bond cylindrically symmetric?
In a linear molecule, it has to be, since if you take the bond axis to be z, you still have an arbitrary choice as to where x and y point. In other cases, there might be some symmetry breaking, but I suspect that the electrons participating in the triple bond will be nearly isotropically distributed around the bond axis.

Likes 1 person
In this context it is maybe interesting, that even a double bond may be rotationally symmetric, e.g. like the one in ##\mathrm{^1\Delta}## singlet oxygen.

Likes 1 person

What is rotation of CO2 bonds?

Rotation of CO2 bonds refers to the ability of the carbon and oxygen atoms within a carbon dioxide molecule to rotate around the central carbon-oxygen bond. This rotation is a fundamental property of molecules and is crucial for understanding their structure and behavior.

Why is rotation of CO2 bonds important?

The rotation of CO2 bonds is important because it affects the molecular energy, reactivity, and shape of carbon dioxide. This, in turn, has significant implications for its role in atmospheric and chemical processes, as well as its use in various industrial applications.

How does rotation of CO2 bonds affect its properties?

The rotation of CO2 bonds affects the dipole moment, vibrational modes, and overall symmetry of the molecule. This, in turn, affects its ability to absorb and emit infrared radiation, its solubility in different solvents, and its ability to participate in chemical reactions.

What is the difference between rotation of CO2 bonds and triple bonds?

Rotation of CO2 bonds refers to the rotation around the central carbon-oxygen bond in a carbon dioxide molecule. In contrast, triple bonds refer to the presence of three covalent bonds between two atoms, such as in the case of a carbon-carbon triple bond in ethyne (C2H2).

How does the rotation of CO2 bonds affect climate change?

The rotation of CO2 bonds plays a crucial role in the greenhouse effect, where carbon dioxide molecules absorb and emit infrared radiation in the Earth's atmosphere. The ability of CO2 bonds to rotate and vibrate affects the absorption and emission of radiation, which ultimately contributes to global warming and climate change.