[paper] Run or walk in the rain

• Thread starter Simon Bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Rain
In summary, the conversation discusses a paper by Seongtaek Seo on orthogonal projection and the concept of running or walking in rain. The paper uses a simple method to find the orthogonal projected area of an ellipsoid and applies it to the problem of moving in the rain. The paper concludes that running is better than walking in the rain, but this conclusion is debated by the individuals in the conversation who point out the limitations of the paper's model and suggest a more controlled approach. The conversation also mentions that the paper is pre-review and may benefit from further refinement.
Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am looking for other opinions on the following that has come to my attention:

Seongtaek Seo (2013) Orthogonal Projection & Run or Walk in the Rain?
European Journal of Scientific Research
ISSN 1450-216X / 1450-202X Vol. 113 No 4 October, 2013, pp.560-570
Abstract:
In this paper, we will find the orthogonal projected length or area of some figures.
Especially it will show the simplest way to find the orthogonal projected area of ellipsoid. And
then we apply them to the problem “Run or walk in the rain?” We will consider that the objects
move in the rain in a given time as well as in a given distance. And we also take into account an
object which moves leaning its body. By a simple method in this paper, we can check the
conclusions the previous authors pointed out. Furthermore we can obtain the new formulas and
results. So I think, at least in theory, this paper will show the way to reach the final conclusion
about this problem.

Background see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4603262.
I don't know what to think about the journal ... a pdf of the paper is attached to the linked thread.
Is that typical of the sort of thing they publish?

The author basically works out the volume that various primitives (rectangular prism, spheroid, cylinder) sweep out and multiplies this by the number density of raindrops ... the whole thing looks like it's done in the reference frame of the ground.

I think the conclusion is that running is better than walking, provided you run at the right angle to the rain. This appears to contradict simple experiments conducted using natural running vs walking in simulated in-Nature weather.

Author thinks there is application to astrophysics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Real running is very different from models. Mythbusters took a crack at this once, and you can see from how they went about it that there are a lot of factors going into it.

But if we do take a model where a solid body simply moves through a field of rain drops (rain's frame of reference is far more convenient here) is there any surprise that moving faster gets the object less wet? A plane parallel to rainfall is going to seep out exactly the same area regardless. A plane orthogonal rain fall is going to pick up very little if it moves fast enough. An arbitrary body will trivially fall somewhere in between, with a slight advantage for a fast moving object.

But an actual running person is going to splash, bob, and go through a different sequence of poses than a walking person. Comparing such a simplistic model to an experiment with an actual person is absolutely pointless.

Yeah I saw the Mythbusters clip.

The model may be better applied to a planetoid moving through a debris field ... except: no gravity in the model.
I was surprised that it got published - then I find out that it is "pre-review". <sigh>

I believe the author would do better to remove the human and weather elements of the paper, and reduce the problem to a set of variables that can be accounted for and controlled. Or at least try to account for them to a higher degree, right now the paper fails at drawing his conclusion.

Has it occurred to anyone that if walking speed is half of running speed, one would be exposed to the rain for twice the time when walking? It's a fairly simple proposition regardless of the angle of the rainfall and the direction that the person might take.

There is already a thread on this paper. Please don't spawn additional threads.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4606353#post4606353

What are the benefits of running or walking in the rain?

Running or walking in the rain can provide a refreshing change to your exercise routine and can also improve your physical and mental health. The cool rain can help regulate your body temperature, making your workout more comfortable. Additionally, the sound of rain can have a calming effect on the mind, reducing stress and anxiety.

Is it safe to run or walk in the rain?

As long as there is no severe weather or lightning, it is generally safe to run or walk in the rain. However, it is important to take precautions such as wearing appropriate clothing and shoes with good traction to prevent slipping. It is also recommended to avoid running or walking in heavy rain, as this can impair visibility and increase the risk of accidents.

Will I get sick from running or walking in the rain?

Contrary to popular belief, running or walking in the rain will not make you sick. The common cold and flu are caused by viruses, not by being exposed to cold or wet weather. As long as you dress appropriately and dry off after your workout, there is no increased risk of getting sick from running or walking in the rain.

How can I prepare for running or walking in the rain?

To prepare for running or walking in the rain, make sure to wear moisture-wicking clothing and a waterproof jacket. It is also important to protect your electronics, such as your phone or music player, by using a waterproof case or leaving them at home. Lastly, be sure to have a warm change of clothes and a towel waiting for you to dry off after your workout.

Can I still get a good workout in the rain?

Absolutely! In fact, running or walking in the rain can provide a more challenging and beneficial workout. The wet and slippery conditions engage different muscles and require more effort, making your workout more effective. Just be sure to stay aware of your surroundings and adjust your speed and intensity accordingly.