Stellar structure of stars problem

In summary: Also, how would I find the boundary conditions?In summary, the problem involves solving the equations of stellar structure for a star of radius R and constant density p composed of a classical, nonrelativistic, ideal gas of fully ionized hydrogen. The pressure profile, P(r), needs to be solved with the boundary condition P(R)=0, and the temperature profile, T(r), needs to be found. The nuclear energy production rate, E, depends on temperature as E=T^4. To solve part c, the radial distribution of temperature within the star needs to be determined. For part b, the first order ODE dT(r)/dr = -3/4 *( L(r)*k(r)*ρ(r))/(4
fu11meta1

Homework Statement

Consider a star of radius R, with density p that is constant, composed of classical, nonrelativistic, idealg gas of fully ionized hydrogen.
a. Solve the equations of stellar structure for the pressure profile, P(r) with the boundary condition P(R)=0
b. Find the temperature profile T(r)
c. Assume that the nuclear energy production rate depends on temperature as E==T^4. At what radius does E decrease to 0.1 of its central value, and what fraction of the star's volume is included within this radius?

Homework Equations

A) dP(r)=-G*M(r)*ρ(r)*dr/r^2
B)dT(r)/dr = -3/4 *( L(r)*k(r)*ρ(r))/(4∏r^24acT(r)^3)
C) I'm not sure about the formulas for C

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I get A part. You have to integrate from r to R of
dP(r)=-G*M(r)*ρ*dr/r^2 ;ρ= M(r)/(4/3)∏r^3, solve for M(r)
=-G*ρ^2*(4/3)*∏*integration of r

b part: I have no idea. Which values will be constant and why?

c part: I'm also not sure which equations to use

Please help and explain thoroughly or set me on the right track! Also please explain the concepts too! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For part c, you have to solve part b and figure out the radial distribution of temperature within the star.

Thanks!
any idea on part b?

fu11meta1 said:
Thanks!
any idea on part b?

B)dT(r)/dr = -3/4 *( L(r)*k(r)*ρ(r))/(4∏r^24acT(r)^3)

You've got a first order ODE to solve here. It's not clear what functions L(r) and k(r) are and how they vary with r, nor what boundary conditions to apply.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Would the luminosity be constant in this case? or would I need another equation to substitute it with?

1. What is the main problem in studying the stellar structure of stars?

The main problem in studying the stellar structure of stars is that stars are incredibly complex objects, and our understanding of their internal processes is limited. This is due to the fact that we can only observe the surface of a star, and it is difficult to gather information about its internal structure and composition.

2. How do scientists determine the structure of a star?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, including spectroscopy and theoretical models, to determine the structure of a star. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted by a star to determine its temperature, composition, and other properties. Theoretical models use mathematical equations and physical principles to simulate the internal conditions of a star and compare them to observations.

3. What is the role of nuclear fusion in the structure of stars?

Nuclear fusion is the process by which stars generate energy. It occurs in the core of a star, where extreme temperatures and pressures cause hydrogen atoms to fuse together to form helium. This energy production is what maintains the structure and stability of a star, and determines its size, temperature, and other characteristics.

4. How do variations in the structure of stars affect their evolution?

The structure of a star is closely linked to its evolution. Variations in a star's mass, composition, and other factors can greatly influence its lifespan and eventual fate. For example, more massive stars have shorter lifespans and end their lives in spectacular supernova explosions, while smaller stars may live for billions of years and eventually become white dwarfs.

5. What are some current challenges in understanding the stellar structure of stars?

One of the current challenges in understanding the stellar structure of stars is the existence of dark matter and dark energy, which make up a majority of the universe's mass and energy. Scientists are still working to understand how these mysterious components affect the formation and evolution of stars. Additionally, advancements in technology and techniques are constantly pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and helping us gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of stellar structure.