What is the significance of dipoles in condensed matter physics?

• Thread starter marc32123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipoles
In summary: I see. So, in a way, they are similar, but there are some distinctions that need to be made depending on the context. That makes sense.
marc32123
Question about dipoles...

What is the difference between a dipole in physics and a dipole in chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
None.
Depends at what level you are doing it at though - I think physics teaches intrinsic dipoles and dipole models where the separation of charges tends to zero before chemistry does.

marc32123 said:
What is the difference between a dipole in physics and a dipole in chemistry?

What brought up this question? Did you come across something that made you think that there might be a difference between the two?

Zz.

I am just curious, I really don't know much about dipoles and just started a little research on it because I keep coming across the word in my recent research into chemistry. Same with the word polar or polarity.

Figured - the concepts can look different when you start learning about them because context is important to what gets taught.

Note: you need to be careful about attaching too much importance to semantics in science - words often have odd uses because a label got stuck sometime in history. Concentrate on the principles behind the words.

Dipoles in chemistry usually refer to polarized molecules, whereas in physics they sometimes are referring to idealized mathematical point dipoles.

However, the concept is identicle - some charge distribution which deviates from spherical symmetry.

Wow - that's creepy!
dipole wrote exactly what my first response was...

dipole said:
Dipoles in chemistry usually refer to polarized molecules, whereas in physics they sometimes are referring to idealized mathematical point dipoles.

Note that this may be true when dealing with the idealized and simplified situation in the learning of classical E&M. However, it isn't true in general. In condensed matter physics, we certainly deal with polarized molecules, etc., both electric and magnetic. One only need to look at the concept of polarons, introduced by Landau.

Zz.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or a part of a molecule that has both positive and negative charges, resulting in a separation of electric charge. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the polarity of the molecule.

2. How are dipoles formed?

Dipoles are formed when there is an unequal distribution of electrons in a molecule, causing one end to have a slightly positive charge and the other end to have a slightly negative charge. This can occur due to differences in electronegativity between atoms in a molecule.

3. What is the significance of dipoles in chemistry?

Dipoles play a crucial role in many chemical reactions and properties. They determine the solubility of molecules in different solvents, as well as the strength of intermolecular forces between molecules. Dipoles also influence the reactivity and stability of molecules.

4. How can dipoles be measured?

Dipoles can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography. In spectroscopy, the dipole moment can be determined by measuring the difference in energy levels between different rotational states of the molecule. In X-ray crystallography, the positions of atoms in a molecule can be determined, allowing for the calculation of the dipole moment.

5. Can dipoles be canceled out?

Yes, dipoles can be canceled out by the presence of another dipole with an equal and opposite orientation. This is known as dipole-dipole cancellation. Additionally, dipoles can also be canceled out by the presence of ions with opposite charges, known as ion-dipole cancellation.