Electric potential and conducting wire

In summary, when two spheres of different radii are connected by a conducting wire, the electric potential becomes the same due to the movement of electrons from the higher potential sphere to the lower potential sphere. This can be compared to the discharge of a capacitor through a resistor until both plates have the same potential.
Hardik Batra
There are two sphere of radius a and b and they are connected by conducting wire. Then why the electric potential becomes same of both the sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hardik Batra said:
There are two sphere of radius a and b and they are connected by conducting wire. Then why the electric potential becomes same of both the sphere?

Let's say there was a small potential difference initially between the spheres when you connected them with the conducting wire. What happens next?

I don't know what happens next that was I am asking to you. Why potential becomes same?

Hardik Batra said:
I don't know what happens next that was I am asking to you. Why potential becomes same?

And I'm asking you -- when you have a potential difference across a conducting wire's ends, what happens? Approximate the wire as a 1 Ohm resistor for simplicity. What is Ohm's Law?

I think electron will move from higher potential to lower potential.

Hardik Batra said:
I think electron will move from higher potential to lower potential.

Good! What does that electron movement do to the overall potential difference between the two spheres?

Electron moving from higher potential it will release the energy and higher potential decrease?

Hardik Batra said:
Electron moving from higher potential it will release the energy and higher potential decrease?

Correct, the potential decreases. Just think of the 2 spheres as the 2 plates of a parallel-plate capacitor. When you have a charged-up capacitor, and you connect a resistor across the terminals of the capacitor, the capacitor discharges through the resistor until there is 0 Volts across the capacitor (so the plates are at the same potential).

Does that make sense?

Likes 1 person

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is a measure of the potential energy of a charged object in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

3. How does a conducting wire affect electric potential?

A conducting wire does not affect electric potential because it is a good conductor of electricity, meaning that the electric potential remains constant along its length. This is due to the movement of electrons within the wire, which quickly equalizes any differences in electric potential.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is directly proportional to electric field, meaning that an increase in electric potential will result in an increase in electric field and vice versa. The equation E = -∇V represents this relationship, where E is electric field, V is electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This usually occurs when the electric potential energy decreases as a charged object moves from one point to another in an electric field. Negative electric potential indicates that work must be done to move a charged object against the direction of the electric field.